Ginger root is used not only as a spice, but also for the treatment of many diseases. With the help of ginger, you can remove cholesterol from the body, as well as reduce high blood pressure. In addition, ginger is able to remove waste products and normalize digestion. In order for this product not to lose its medicinal properties, it is necessary to understand how to properly store ginger root. There are many methods for saving, but all of them are quite clear and simple.
After buying ginger root, it is advisable to put it in the refrigerator so that it stays fresh longer. At room temperature, in the fresh air, the plant eventually dries out or begins to rot.
Whole ginger root (uncut and unpeeled) can be kept in the refrigerator for no more than 5 days . During this time, the root will not be able to lose its properties.
Long storage in the freezer
If you want to store ginger root for a long time (more than 1 week or even a month or two), then you will have to use a freezer. Only in the freezer will it be possible to preserve all the useful properties.
- Take the required amount of ginger roots, rinse well under running water and dry with a towel.
- Carefully fold into a plastic container and place it in the freezer compartment.
- If you need ginger for something, you just take it out and cut off the amount you need and put the rest back in the freezer.
Using this method, you can store ginger for about 12 months. The only drawback of such storage is that the frozen unpeeled root is difficult to cut, and you need to figure out where to put the entire thawed portion.
Important ! Do not allow the product to be re-frozen, this will lead to a loss of nutritional and taste values.
A more practical, but not as long-lasting, method of storage is in a purified form. To do this, do the following:
- Wash the ginger thoroughly and remove the skin from it using a fairly sharp knife.
- Use a grater to grate the cleaned root.
- Form small cakes from the grated ginger and wrap them individually in parchment paper.
- Place all wrapped cakes in a container and store in the freezer.
Such a product is quite simple and easy to use. It is enough to get one of the prepared portions. The duration of storage of grated ginger is no more than 8 months.
Advice ! If you like to drink tea with ginger, you can put the grated portions in an ice cube tray and freeze it in this form. Then it is enough to take 1-2 cubes of frozen root and put them in a cup of tea or in a teapot.
How to marinate
A very tasty delicacy – pickled ginger root. It is eaten by itself or added to various dishes. In pickled form, the product does not lose its qualities and acquires a pleasant taste.
Pickling in white wine is suitable for short-term storage:
- Peel and cut the ginger into thin slices.
- Place in a container and pour white, dry wine. Additionally, you can add sugar and salt to taste if you want to enjoy ginger as an independent dish.
- Leave to infuse for 2-3 days.
Thanks to this method, ginger will retain all its taste properties for 2-3 weeks, but no more. And the wine can then be used as a sauce for meat or fish.
A non-alcoholic pickling option – with apple cider vinegar:
- Clean the ginger root, cut along the fibers.
- Put the product in a colander and immerse it in boiling water for 2 minutes (so the root will become softer).
- Mix 1-1.5 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in 100 ml. sugar
- Put the prepared ginger in a jar and pour vinegar marinade.
- Leave to marinate for 3 days.
You need to store pickled ginger in the refrigerator in a tightly closed jar. Having left the product on the table, be ready to throw it into the sewer, because it will turn sour, and eating such a thing is dangerous for health.
Pickled ginger is not a main dish – it is an appetizer that often appears on the same plate as traditional Japanese rolls and sushi. Spicy petals in this case are used in order to clear the “impression” of the taste buds from the previous dish and to fully experience the taste of the next one.
How to dry
In addition to everything described above, ginger root can also be dried. For this you need:
- Wash and cut into small pieces.
- Put it on a baking sheet and leave it like that for 4 days in a well-ventilated room.
- Put the dried pieces in a container and put them in the closet.
With this method, ginger can be stored for 1 year.