The oven is not only popular, but also an indispensable attribute of any modern kitchen. No housewife can do without an oven, but not everyone knows how to properly care for it. Today, there are many stoves on sale that have built-in oven cleaning: hydrolysis, pyrolytic and catalytic. Let’s try to figure out which of them is better, although they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
Before buying an oven, it is necessary to study in detail not only the standard characteristics, but also the self-cleaning functions. You can buy a budget model, which you will have to wash with your own hands, using a sponge and detergent. Such an oven is cheaper, but abrasive substances will quickly spoil the inner coating. Automatic cleaning significantly saves time and effort, but which one is better to choose?
One of the popular methods of cleaning is considered to be catalytic .
The inner surface of the cabinet is covered with a special porous enamel, which includes a catalyst. When heated to a certain temperature (+ 150C), fats and impurities break down into constituent elements. After the oven cools down, simply wipe it with a damp cloth. Self-cleaning occurs directly during cooking, but you can include additional cleaning at a higher temperature.
Advantages of catalytic cleaning:
- suitable for both gas and electric ovens;
- service life of more than 5 years (then panels need to be replaced);
- quite affordable cost;
- cleaning does not require special preparation and occurs during cooking.
- catalytic enamel deteriorates from contact with dairy products and sugar. That is why catalytic panels are placed only on the back and side walls. The bottom of the oven and the door will have to be washed manually as before.
- it is forbidden to clean the oven with any detergents, and in the case of old contamination, automatic cleaning is repeated several times in a row, which consumes energy.
This system is expensive and the most effective, and its essence consists in the combustion of any impurities at a very high temperature (over +500). If standard cooking takes place at t up to + 200C, then pyrolytic cleaning requires much higher temperature parameters. Therefore, the oven door and body are made of heat-resistant panels, which allow you to use the oven as safely as possible. At such temperatures, all impurities burn and turn into ash, which is easily swept away with a brush, but only after the oven has completely cooled down.
The advantage of pyrolytic cleaning is:
- complete cleaning of any contamination without human intervention,
- such cabinets are made only of high-quality materials resistant to strong heat.
- high cost,
- Significant energy consumption.
- Strong heating of the door, which is dangerous if there are children in the house.
- Pyrolysis is installed only on electric models that require a separate line with a capacity of 6 kW or more.
- Used only in electric ovens.
The most affordable and budget cleaning method is hydrolysis , but it cannot be called fully automatic. Its essence is that a special hole is arranged at the bottom of the oven, into which water is poured. At a certain temperature (from +90 C), water begins to evaporate, and under the action of steam, dirt and grease soften and dissolve. After that, you need to wait until the oven cools down and carefully wipe the inner surface by hand.
Advantages of methods:
Cons of hydrolysis:
- semi-automatic cleaning, which requires additional manual removal of dirt;
- will have to turn on the cleaning function after each cooking.
If we compare all three cleaning methods, it can be noted that hydrolysis is the cheapest and safest, but requires regular use and additional manual cleaning. The most expensive and fully automatic is pyrolysis, but it consumes a lot of power and is dangerous for others. Which oven to choose, which cleaning system is better – should be determined according to the specific situation and operating conditions.
If you rarely cook and do not want to bother with cleaning the oven, then the pyrolytic option will be an ideal solution. Although such an oven is more expensive and consumes a lot of energy, but infrequent use will not allow the meter to wind up unheard of kilowatts. At the same time, pyrolysis cleans the oven best of all, you will not need to stand by the stove with a washcloth and wash anything. Saving time on the face.
If you often bake and also want to buy a gas oven or save on an electric one, it is better to choose catalytic cleaning. The oven is cleaned directly during cooking. Then just wipe with a cloth and you can cook again.
Well, the hydrolysis option will be the best solution for savings. Cheaper, consumes less gas or electricity. However, it consumes more of your personal time. After each cooking, you need to turn on the cleaning system, and then wash the walls of the oven.