And although the World Health Organization notes that wearing medical masks is effective only for sick people in order not to spread the virus, there is a shortage of respirators in the country’s pharmacies. Healthy people panic, buying goods in pharmacies and hardware stores. But do not worry that you did not have time to buy anything, now we will tell you how to make a medical mask at home. It can be sewn from gauze and cotton wool or from cotton fabric. We analyze both options.
Doctors recommend using a medical mask:
- those who are in quarantine;
- those who are in contact with patients;
- those who have signs of a respiratory disease, especially cough;
- for safety in public places.
There are many ways to make masks at home. We chose the two easiest options. First: costs are minimal. Secondly: you don’t need a sewing machine, minimal sewing skills are enough.
We offer two types of masks:
- from gauze and bandage – disposable;
- from cotton – reusable.
How to sew a gauze mask with your own hands
You will need:
- gauze (can be a bandage);
- thread with a needle;
- cotton wool (if desired).
Step-by-step instructions for making a respirator:
- Cut four pieces of 15×25 centimeters from the gauze.
- Cut four strips of 5×30 centimeters from the gauze.
- Fold the smaller sections into a ring and iron to the center with an iron. A chain will appear. These are the future braids for tying the mask.
- We collect the mask. To do this, cut four rectangular segments in the middle. We attach narrow strips to two of them at the corners. In the center, we fold the remaining length of the segments for tying.
This is what braids gathered in the center look like.
- We apply the remaining two layers of gauze on top and stitch around the perimeter. This should be done starting from the middle. You need to leave a hole there to later turn the mask inside out.
- The last step is to turn out the mask.
The mask is ready.
To make more layers of gauze in the mask, you need to cut out as many rectangles as you need. The length of the braids can be adjusted: they can be made shorter or longer.
Advantages of a gauze mask against coronavirus:
- minimum costs (a meter of gauze in a pharmacy costs from UAH 5, a thread with a needle, scissors, everyone has at home);
- 5-6 masks can be sewn from a meter of gauze;
- the time spent on making one mask is 20 minutes.
Disadvantages of a gauze mask:
- disposable (you can wear it for two hours, then you need to throw it away);
- the mask is thin (therefore it is better to fill the mask with ordinary cotton wool)
How to sew a fabric mask
You can use unnecessary but clean things (T-shirt, shirt), bed linen, baby diaper. You don’t need a sewing machine for this.
You will need:
- cotton fabric (size 50×30);
- rubber band (40 centimeters);
- needle with thread;
- We fold the fabric in half and sew the two ends. The distance from the edge is 1 centimeter.
- We turn it inside out to the front side. We place the seam in the middle. To make the fabric lie flat, you can iron it with an iron. It turns out a detail by type of sleeve.
- We fold the sleeve in half again across. And sew the sleeve. We retreat from the edge 1 centimeter.
- We turn the part so that the seam is inside again.
- We stretch two rubber bands along the edges of the part. Each 20 centimeters.
- We sew the edges of the product where the rubber bands are stretched.
- We adjust the rubber bands that will be worn on the ears.
This is what a cloth mask against coronavirus looks like:
Advantages of a fabric mask:
- reusable – it can be washed, ironed and worn an infinite number of times;
- minimum costs;
- a dense mask protects well.
The Ministry of Health recommends following five preventive measures:
- wash your hands and face often and thoroughly with soap;
- use alcohol antiseptics for hands;
- avoid places of mass gathering of people;
- avoid contact with sick people;
- in the event of symptoms of colds (increased body temperature, nasal congestion, cough, sore throat), it is necessary to self-isolate and immediately call an ambulance to the house.