Silver jewelry requires special care, as the metal oxidizes and blackens when exposed to water or sweat. Self-cleaning of silver products with stones is actually a very easy process. For this, it is not necessary to use expensive professional tools. In this article, we will tell you how to clean a silver ring with a stone quickly.
Methods of cleaning different types of stones
Products with stone inserts require careful care. Most of them cannot be influenced by chemical means. The porous material of organic stones absorbs chemicals well and can lose its attractive appearance. Gemstones cannot withstand mechanical impact, a small fraction can cause visible damage.
For silver jewelry with amber, you need to prepare a soapy solution.
- Keep the product in the solution for 10 minutes.
- With the help of a soft sponge, wipe off the dirt with light movements.
- Then wash the jewelry in warm water to get rid of the soap scum.
- The ring should dry naturally. You can’t put jewelry next to heating devices.
To clean jewelry with pearls, use starch:
- Make a mixture of starch and water, taking the components in equal proportions.
- Pearls are not so capricious, so processing can be done with a toothbrush. Apply the slurry to the product and start cleaning.
- Wash the jewelry in clean water.
- Leave them to dry for a while.
Ruby, topaz, garnet
These stones require special treatment:
- Rinse the product under running water.
- Wipe away dirt with a soft cloth.
- In severe cases, you can use glycerin. Drop a little substance on the stone and process it.
These are strong stones that are not afraid of chemicals.
- Treat the product with toothpaste using a toothbrush.
- Wash off the composition and rub the stones until they shine.
Has high hardness. Consider the method of cleaning a ring with this stone:
- Combine tooth powder and ammonia in such a way that a sour cream consistency is obtained.
- Apply the mixture to a cotton pad and rub the ring with the stone.
- Wash off the composition and wipe the product with a felt cloth.
Turquoise, malachite, moonstone, opal
A ring with such stones is cleaned with alcohol:
- Soak the contamination with warm water.
- Apply ammonia.
- Rinse the ring in cool water and then dry with a soft cloth.
- If the contamination is not severe, then simply hold the jewelry in a soapy solution for 10 minutes and rinse.
Emerald, aquamarine and sapphire
They have a high density, so washing powder or tooth powder is suitable for their treatment:
- Mix the powder with water in equal proportions.
- Apply the composition to the ring and gently brush it.
- Wash the jewelry and wipe with a soft cloth.
A ring with coral cannot be soaked in water. It is simply wiped with a velvet cloth. And it is also worth excluding the impact of various chemical compositions on the stone.
For processing silver, you can choose any suitable option, for example, use chalk or soda.
- Mix the chalk crumb with water until it becomes a paste and, using a cotton swab, wipe off the dirt.
- You can make a slurry of soda and process silver without touching the stone. Leave the soda for 5 minutes and then wash off.
It has a porous structure. If you have jewelry with this material, just soak them in soapy water and leave for 5 minutes. After that, be sure to rinse the item in clean water and leave to dry.
Light dirt from jewelry can be easily removed with an ordinary stationery eraser.
How to clean a silver ring with gold plating
Abrasive particles can erase the layer of gilding, so it is not recommended to use chalk, tooth powder or baking soda to clean jewelry.
It is an effective tool for processing a gilded surface:
- Soak a cotton swab in alcohol and wipe the surface.
- Rub the ring with a piece of chamois.
Regular beer also copes well with the task:
- Pour the beer into a small container and lower the item into it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the item in clean water.
- Leave until completely dry, then rub with chamois.
- Dip a cotton pad in the protein and wipe the product.
- Wash off the residue in clean water.
- Dry the item naturally.
How to remove black plaque
An excellent means for removing blackness is vinegar.
- Prepare the solution: dilute a couple of tablespoons of vinegar in 1 liter of water.
- Place the ring in the liquid for 15 minutes. Or apply the solution to a cotton pad and treat the product.
- Rinse in clean water and wipe with chamois.
Onions will also help remove black spots:
- The gilded surface must be rubbed with an onion.
- After that, you should wait from 1 to 1.5 hours.
- Next, wash, dry and polish the product.
How to get rid of green plaque
Try the following method:
- Pour a liter of warm water, add 1 teaspoon of detergent and 6 drops of ammonia.
- Keep the jewelry in the solution for 30 minutes.
- Rinse in running water.
- Dry and wipe with a piece of chamois.