Washing towels incorrectly makes them rough and unpleasant to use, which does not always indicate the need to get rid of them and buy new ones. There are many ways to wash washed terry towels and, perhaps, return them to their former softness, at least partially.
It is much easier to put towels in order in the washing machine than by hand, but some nuances should be taken into account:
- Abundant and prolonged rinsing, possibly multiple times.
- Add conditioner for softness.
- We fill the drum to 2/3.
- Pre-soaking and spot treatment with soap or a stain remover will help remove difficult stains.
- Wring at low revolutions (no more than 700).
- We put special balls for washing terry clothes (ping-pong balls are also suitable).
- Wash white and colored items separately.
- If the tap water is hard, add softeners.
- Hang the towels immediately after washing, do not leave them in the drum for a long time.
At what temperature is it better to wash?
The temperature regime directly depends on the material from which the towel is made. As a rule, all the necessary information is on the product label.
Old, cotton products are able to withstand rather high temperatures without consequences, including boiling. If you are sure that the material is made of pure cotton, without any impurities, you can safely set it to 70˚. The high temperature mode is effective in cases where you need to wash stains on washed terry towels.
Combined fabrics, with the addition of synthetics, categorically do not tolerate hot water – 40˚ is the limit for them, and 35˚ is better.
Cleaning towels from dirt at home will help with simple tools that are in every kitchen or first-aid kit.
Removes stains from colored and white hand towels and more. The method of application is as follows:
- Dissolve half a glass of table salt in 5 liters of warm water.
- Soak towels in the prepared solution.
- Leave for an hour, then wash as usual by hand or in a washing machine.
The available product is suitable for cleaning various impurities, including fat. To refresh a towel with it, you need to do the following:
- We rub the moistened terry product with simple soap.
- We put everything in a cellophane bag and leave it overnight.
- In the morning, wash thoroughly and rinse with plenty of water.
The above-described method can be used to clean, including a spilled towel.
Nasathyr and glycerin
Both drugs are sold in pharmacies and effectively remove stubborn stains, for example, from coffee or tea.
- Mix equal amounts of ammonia and glycerin.
- Apply the prepared solution to the spots, rub them lightly and leave for 2 hours.
- Wash in the usual mode for the fabric, by machine or by hand.
We whiten towels using folk methods
Almost any pollution can be whitened with folk remedies. It will take a little more time than when cleaning with special mixtures, but the result will not be worse.
Whitening with the help of a common food additive can be done in the following way:
- Prepare a pasty solution of mustard powder (consistency should be closer to liquid).
- We apply the prepared mixture on a moistened terry towel , while treating the yellow spots with greater care.
- We leave it overnight (8-10 hours), after which we send it to the washing machine.
You should not use ready-made mustard that is sold in stores, it contains substances that interfere with cleaning, besides, new impurities may appear after them.
Potassium permanganate will help to make snow-white even those towels on which dirt appeared relatively long ago. To do this, you should perform the following actions:
- Dissolve a little manganese in five liters of boiling water (we achieve a pink tint of the liquid).
- Add a glass of ordinary washing powder, mix and put pre-washed wet towels there.
- Cover the container to minimize evaporation.
- Wait until it cools completely, then rinse and dry.
This method will help to put in order even very scary terry products.
For whitening, an aqueous solution or a powder agent previously diluted with water is used. The concentration of the powder is 20 g/l.
- Dissolve 30 ml of the drug in a basin of hot water.
- We soak the problem laundry in the prepared solution.
- After 2-3 hours, wash in the usual way.
The method is especially effective if the towels were white and turned gray.
Boil with household soap and soda
Boiling allows you to eliminate almost any contamination without a detrimental effect on the processed material.
- We mix grated soap (72%) and baking soda in equal proportions.
- Dissolve in a metal container of the appropriate size (100 g of mixture per 4 l of water).
- Put on fire, bring to a boil and cook over low heat for an hour.
In addition to all its cleaning qualities, soda will help to process towels in such a way that they do not smell and keep their attractive appearance longer.
Whiten with special means
In cases where it is necessary to quickly wash and return linen to terry towels without boiling, home methods may prove to be powerless, as the task is quite difficult. The network giant Amway will come to the rescue with its universal bleach. The label says it’s safe to use in the washing machine, but tough old stains are best removed by hand.
- Pour enough boiling water into the basin to process the prepared laundry.
- We add a miracle agent in the ratio: a tablespoon per liter of liquid and stir.
- We immerse the terry products in the solution so that it completely covers them.
- Wait until it cools down, after which you can wash it in the same basin.
- Rinse and dry.
In particularly difficult situations, boiling and an increase in the duration of soaking up to 6-8 hours are permissible.
It is not easy to restore the former appearance of terry towels, especially if they have undergone several merciless washes. However, in many situations there are chances, and before you write off a terry product as scrap, you should try to put it in order. Of course, it will not become a new towel, but it will always work to update it slightly.