The presence of even a faint unpleasant smell causes severe discomfort and spoils the mood for a long time. It is very important to immediately take measures to eliminate it, so that it does not have time to spread throughout the room and penetrate into every thing. There are many ways to get rid of an unpleasant smell in an apartment, but its source should be identified in advance so that the effect on it is as effective as possible. The choice of odor control agent will depend on the root cause.
The kitchen became the most common source of unpleasant aromas. A refrigerator, a gas stove, a garbage can, various household appliances – each of them can emit a bad smell.
Actions to eliminate the problem should be as follows:
- Eliminating the original source problem. If it is a garbage can, refrigerator, stove or other equipment, then the object should be thoroughly washed with a specialized agent or plain water with the addition of a small amount of soda or vinegar. In the event that the problem arises from the smell of food (especially if we are talking about burnt food), you should thoroughly wash the dishes in which the cooking took place.
- Airing. If possible, it is necessary to ventilate both the objects themselves, which are the source of the stench, and the entire apartment.
- Washing fabric products. This point is especially important if the cause of cleaning was burnt food. It is necessary to wash curtains, towels, upholstered furniture that managed to get soaked with steam, and this applies to the entire apartment, not just the kitchen.
- Remove the smell with the help of folk remedies. The best options for the kitchen: heat coffee beans in a pan or boil lemon wedges in the oven (also helps to wipe off fat).
After all procedures, you can use aromatic sticks, which will add pleasant aromas of freshness to the apartment.
Musty smell, dampness, rot or mold
Very often, mustiness is combined with mold, dampness and rot. All this can not only cause serious discomfort, but also seriously harm the health of those who stay indoors for a long time.
What to do to fix the problem:
- Repair all plumbing, if there are any problems with it.
- First, ventilate the room and all problem areas, and then, if possible, install a hood and a fan to avoid the problem from recurring.
- Remove the mold, if it managed to appear. Special tools will help with this: bleach with chlorine (1 part of the product to 10 parts of water), white vinegar (1 tablespoon per 1 liter of water), soda (1 teaspoon per 200 ml of water). In the first case, you just need to wash the problem area, in the second – apply the prepared product and rinse with water, and in the third – just apply a liquid with soda and leave.
- Use folk methods. Activated carbon is the most effective in combating dampness and unpleasant musty smells. It should be spread over problem areas (20 tablets), and then changed every month. You can additionally put cotton wool dipped in aromatic oil in the cabinets.
- Wash smelly things. They should be soaked for 3 hours in water with ammonia (40 ml per bucket of water), and then washed. This also applies to furniture, but they should be washed in the following way: soak the sheet in water with vinegar (2 tablespoons per 5 liters of water), put it on the upholstery, knock out all the dust from the furniture so that it remains in the sheet.
- Use aromatic products. Place special sticks or other aromatic products around the apartment, which will be a source of pleasant aromas.
In addition, you can use specialized equipment that normalizes air humidity, eliminating the appearance of unpleasant odors.
The smell of animals
Pets always give love and good mood. However, almost every owner of a cat, dog or other animal faces the need to get rid of their unpleasant smell in the apartment. Even with proper care, a pet can start to smell bad and leave its “fragrances” in many places of the apartment.
How to remove the smell of animals:
- Thoroughly wash toilet trays, cages and other places. This should be done with special means from pet stores.
- Treat places where animals have marked the territory with chlorine, lemon, vinegar or soda. Additionally, after washing, you can sprinkle essential oil.
- Clean upholstered furniture. It is advisable to use special means, for example, drugs with enzymes. They can also be used to clean deckchairs, trays and cages so that they are fresher.
- Ventilate the room and use aromatic oils. After complete ventilation, you need to drip aromatic oil in several places around the apartment so that the stench from animals is completely suppressed.
- Wash the animal with shampoo. Any animals can be washed. This should be done regularly, and water treatments also involve cleaning the ears.
It is important to always monitor and take care of the animal to avoid any odors in the house. You can read more about the fight against cat odor in this article .
The smell of repair
No apartment is complete without renovation. Sooner or later, it will be carried out, and the result will be not only the transformation of the appearance, but also the unpleasant aromas of materials or chemicals.
Removal of such odors is carried out as follows:
- Ventilate the room for a long time.
- Use special equipment. Air washers, photocatalytic filters, and ionizers are suitable.
The most difficult smell to eliminate is the smell of sewage. It can come from a toilet, sink, or any other plumbing fixture connected to sewer pipes. As a rule, in such situations, people call specialists. However, you can quickly deal with the problem yourself:
- If the problem is a urinary stone, then remove it with a hard object. Read more about urinary stone cleaning here .
- Chemical treatment. You can either pour hot vinegar into all the holes, or pour caustic soda (50 ml) there, pouring boiling water, and wash it after half an hour, or pour bleach and chlorine into the holes.
If you need to get rid of the sewer smell faster, you can additionally use aromatic products. Special lamps, candles and sticks are perfect.
The smell of smoking
Unpleasant for most people, the smell of tobacco that pervades the apartment after smoking becomes a real problem. It is extremely difficult to get rid of them. However, it is quite possible to achieve the result. For this you need:
- Ventilate the room. It is desirable to achieve a good draft.
- Do a full cleaning. To do this, you should wash all clothes, upholstered furniture, carpets, as well as wash absolutely all surfaces. Adding a small amount of ammonia or vinegar to water is perfect for washing.
- Neutralize the smell of smoke. Cups with coffee beans, soda or salt, placed throughout the apartment, or a lit bay leaf will help with this.
- Displace the stench with a pleasant aroma. Scented candles and lamps are ideal. You can also simply spray your favorite perfume on a cold light bulb and then turn it on, or spread citrus fruit peels around the rooms.
- Special equipment. The last step will be the purchase of special equipment that will help destroy traces of smoking. Air cleaners, ionizers, specialized air conditioners will help.
After all the actions performed, no signs of recent smoking will remain. It is important to perform most of the actions to achieve the result. It is also necessary to exclude smoking inside the apartment in the future.
All of the listed methods of combating unpleasant odors are very effective and help to achieve results in a short time. But this is not a guarantee that such a problem will never arise again. That is why you should monitor the apartment, eliminating all kinds of problems and risks in a timely manner, as well as regularly carry out general cleaning.