Washing hats is a painstaking task. This is rarely done, but sooner or later the cap will get dirty and you will have to figure out how to clean it without ruining it. It is good when it is knitted from strong threads with a tight knit. This option is enough to throw in the washing machine with other clothes. But fine weaving, handwork, woolen and fur hats, caps, straw hats require a special approach. Let’s consider how to wash a knitted hat, fur hat and caps so that it does not stretch, does not sit down and does not shed.
Hats can be conditionally divided into the following categories, which affect the washing method:
- with pompon;
- baseball cap.
Washing a knitted hat
The cap can be tied from synthetic threads or wool.
There should be no problems with the first option. Read the product label or yarn information if knitting yourself and follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Synthetic threads, as a rule, tolerate washing in a washing machine well:
- Place the knitted hat in a laundry bag and put it in the washing machine with other items.
- The regime is delicate.
- It is necessary to wash with the detergent that is suitable for the type of yarn.
But in the matter of how to wash a knitted hat made of wool, everything is much more complicated. Previously, we already considered the rules for washing woolen products , applying them to hats, we get the following features:
- Wash the woolen hat only by hand.
- Pour warm water (no higher than 30 degrees) into a bowl. The bowl should be deep enough to completely soak the headdress in it.
- Choose a special detergent for wool. Ordinary shampoo, shavings of laundry soap will also work. If you use ordinary powder, then before soaking the cap, make sure that it is completely dissolved. Undissolved powder granules are then poorly washed off and leave a specific smell. It is strictly forbidden to use bleaches on wool.
- Dilute the detergent until completely dissolved.
- Check that the selected detergent is suitable for the cap. To do this, dip part of the wrong side in water for 2-3 minutes and wait. If it hasn’t rained, you can soak completely.
- Just lower the knitted headdress under water for half an hour. Do not crumple or rub, otherwise the threads will stretch, the wool will deteriorate, which will affect the appearance.
- Rinse under cold water until all detergent is removed.
- Gently squeeze the cap, without twisting it, and squeeze out as much water as possible. Wipe off the residue with a terry towel.
A hat made of mohair or fluffy wool can be pressed with the help of a freezer. Put it in a bag and leave it in the freezer for several hours. Remaining water will turn into crystals that can be easily shaken off.
- It is necessary to dry a knitted hat in a well-ventilated place in a horizontal position or by fixing it vertically by the top, otherwise it may deform or acquire an unpleasant smell. Do not dry wool in the sun or on the battery.
A hat with a pom-pom
There are two options. If the pompom is made of yarn, it must be washed in the same way as the hat itself. Threads can fall off, so after the headdress dries, it will be necessary to return the pompoms to their former splendor. This can be done with a wooden comb, a cat comb or a knitting needle. Be careful not to tear the threads.
But how to wash a hat with a fur pompom is much more difficult. It is forbidden to wash natural fur, so the pom-poms will have to be washed. Wash the headdress, and then sew the fur decoration in place. If it is impossible to repel him, do not despair – housewives have come up with a method for this case as well. Just wrap the pom-pom in a plastic bag and tie it tightly so that water does not get inside. Next, wash the cap by hand. And you will save the pom-pom, and you will refresh the headdress.
Washing a fur hat
You will have to clean such a headdress with dry methods, since it is forbidden to wash a fur hat. When in contact with water, the fur (back side of the fur) begins to absorb it, losing its properties, as a result, after drying, it cracks and puckers, spoiling the fur product at the same time. To refresh a fur hat, it can be cleaned using dry methods. This is described in detail in this article .
One way is to “wash” the fur in oatmeal. Roll the hat in oatmeal, vacuum and air it, then comb it. All small dust and dirt will be easily removed together with the “detergent”.
Washing caps, baseball caps
So that the cap does not lose its shape, it is better to wash it by hand.
- Prepare a bowl, the size of which should be such that the baseball cap fits in it completely.
- Pour hot clean water, lower the cap into it and leave for half an hour. drain
- Take warm water, stir in it a good detergent, preferably liquid without dyes, bleach and fragrances.
- Soak the baseball cap and wash with a brush of medium hardness.
- Rinse in cold water until all detergent is removed.
- Hold the cap on a scale to drain excess water. Tuck a soft towel inside. So the baseball cap will retain its shape when drying, and the remaining liquid will be absorbed. Put the cap to dry in the fresh air. Avoid exposure to the sun or drying in warm air, as this will cause the hat to shrink.
The cap cannot be washed in a washing machine, as it will lose its shape from the rotation of the drum and mixing with other things. If you don’t want to wash by hand, you can use another washing machine – a dishwasher. Place the cap on the bottom compartment of the dishwasher, fixing it on the teeth so that it does not lose its shape. Wash on fast mode. Dry in the same way as in the case of hand washing.