Dampness in the house is quite dangerous, as it damages the walls and foundation, spoils the decoration and furniture, leads to the appearance of mold, and worsens the well-being and health of a person. Normally, the humidity in the room should be up to 70%, if this indicator is higher, then this signals a problem that needs to be solved urgently. Let’s consider ways to get rid of dampness in the house, depending on its cause.
First, check the plumbing in the house. Make sure that there is no water leaking from the pipes anywhere, as this can cause dampness. Fix the plumbing yourself or call a professional. Dry the damp walls with a construction hair dryer, remove areas affected by mold .
If the water supply is installed incorrectly in winter, the pipe with cold water will condense. Microscopic drops of moisture will gradually saturate the foundation and walls, leading to dampness. To get rid of the problem, first insulate the pipes and invite a master who will make an optimal communication plan.
If everything is in order with the pipes, then the reasons for the high humidity may be poor ventilation or waterproofing. Let’s talk about this in more detail.
Airing and ventilation
This is the most important point for ensuring an ideal microclimate in the house. Condensation forms in a room with hermetically sealed windows (which often happens in private old houses, where for “warmth” the windows are sealed so that the apartment is not opened). It appears as a result of moisture evaporation during washing, cooking, wet cleaning, in rooms with plants and an aquarium, etc. In the right situation, excess moisture leaves the house through the ventilation system, or through windows and doors during ventilation. If this is not done or there is no ventilation, then increased humidity, dampness, and mold are formed.
- Regularly ventilate all the rooms in the house for at least 15-20 minutes twice a day, this way the air will change to fresh, and the dampness will go away along with mustiness and other unpleasant smells.
- In the summer, keep the windows open longer so that the hot air warms the walls and furniture. And so that flies do not fly into the house at this time, you can scare them away with various smells and plants, which is described in detail in this article .
- Ideally, it is necessary to equip the house with a good ventilation system. If it is not there, or it is poorly made, then invite experienced craftsmen who will make the necessary calculations. Sometimes, for good ventilation, it is enough to make a through hole in the wall in the bathroom or in the kitchen and install a recuperator.
- Ventilation in the basement. If there is a basement in the house, it is important to ensure its ventilation so that even the moisture penetrating inside evaporates. Special vents are installed if the basement is above ground, or air ducts are made if the basement is below ground level.
If you often do ventilation, but it is not possible to get rid of dampness, then the fault is most likely poor waterproofing of the house. Groundwater penetrates the walls of the house through the foundation, increasing humidity. In this case, you can get rid of moisture in several ways, depending on your case:
- Absence or poor waterproofing of the foundation. As a result, dampness will visit your home sooner or later. The solution to the problem is to perform high-quality waterproofing.
- Old house. Even when good waterproofing was done, over time the house settles, as a result, cracks appear in the foundation, through which moisture penetrates inside, dampness and mold appear. The solution is to seal the cracks that have formed. This is difficult because you need to inspect the entire foundation for damage. In some cases, it may be necessary to strengthen the foundation.
- Low groundwater level. This problem is solved at the stage of planning the construction of the house, complete waterproofing of the foundation is done, capable of withstanding similar loads. If this was not done, only a little drainage of the foundation or its complete exposure and installation of high-quality waterproofing can help.
Useful tips against dampness
In addition to the listed works, we will give some tips that will help to dry the rooms of your house faster:
- Do not dry laundry inside the house or use a special drying cabinet for this.
- If it happens in the summer in hot weather, then take all the furniture, carpets, blankets and other textiles outside in the sun. It is necessary to dry all the moisture.
- Install an air conditioner in the house, a hood above the stove. These household appliances will absorb excess moisture, removing it immediately to the street.
- Buy moisture-absorbing tablets at a hardware store.
- Calcium chloride or salt also perfectly absorb moisture. Pour them into plates or glasses and place them in rooms with high humidity. When the salt hardens, replace it with a new one.
- You can get rid of humidity with a special dehumidifier. However, it is practical to buy it only for drying rooms where it is impossible to ventilate. The fact is that several hours of operation of the dehumidifier are easily compensated by half an hour of airing – the effect is the same. Is it worth paying more?