High humidity and poor ventilation are excellent conditions for the life of many insect pests, in particular woodlice. They can crawl into your wet bath, into one of your plant pots, or into an open vegetable box. The neighborhood with them is unpleasant, they spoil products and flowers, so it is important to find out in time how to get rid of woodlice in the apartment.
Appearance and lifestyle
To understand that you have woodlice, you need to know what they look like. Here are the main features:
- Oval body, gray with yellowness.
- Length up to 2 cm.
- It has a carapace consisting of semicircular plates. Thanks to such a design, the woodworm can roll into a ball when there are signs of danger.
- The carapace is covered with small blisters.
- 7 pairs of legs.
- 2 pairs of antennae, one longer, the other underdeveloped and inconspicuous.
They feed on plant food, they prefer plants that are already decomposing, rotting.
Woodlice prefer to live in a moist, damp environment near a food source. Accordingly, in nature, they can be found under logs, fallen trees, in leaves, under stones, in cellars, damp sheds, greenhouses, and compost piles.
Safe for humans, do not tolerate diseases, do not bite. However, they are harmful to indoor plants and products.
They often get into the apartment with other things, with products. For example, if you brought a bag of vegetables from the cellar without noticing the insects. Also, woodlice can crawl to you themselves, through ventilation holes and through sewer pipes. This happens in autumn, when it gets too cold in the basement of the house. If your apartment has comfortable conditions for the life of woodlice, then they will stay. Can settle:
- In a pot with indoor plants, thus destroying the roots of the flower, eating useful trace elements from the soil.
- In the bathroom, where humidity prevails.
- In places where products are stored. If you store vegetables and fruits not in the refrigerator, but, for example, on the balcony or in a designated storage room, woodlice will quickly choose this place.
- In the corners of the house, where cleaning has not been carried out for a long time. Accumulated damp garbage and garbage will become an excellent nest for woodlice.
What shall I do
Having found lice in the apartment, find their place of residence. This will help to at least partially determine how they got into the house in order to eliminate this path in the future.
- If woodlice are found in flowers, then remember whether you bought new plants or transplanted them into new soil. Perhaps insects appeared in this way. You will have to transplant all the flowers into new soil, and throw away the old one.
- If a nest of woodlice is found among stored products, sort through all vegetables and fruits. Throw away the released bags and bags – insect larvae may remain on them. During the treatment of the apartment, store the products in an airtight container so that pests do not get into them again.
- Bed bugs settle in the bathroom if they got into your apartment independently from the basement. Or moved from the affected plants and products to the bathroom, because you have high humidity here. In any case, it is necessary to seal the cracks in the walls and on the floor, through which insects could penetrate from the outside.
It is not enough to get rid of the root cause, it is important to make sure that more than one infected individual does not remain in the apartment. To do this, organize a general cleaning:
- Dampness attracts woodlice. Wet floor in the bathroom, waterlogged plants, wet cloth for the floor, fruits and vegetables rotting in the pantry – all this creates comfortable conditions for the life of woodlice , scale insects and other harmful insects. Eliminate these factors, reduce the humidity in the apartment to the optimal 40-60%. Provide good ventilation. Dry the floor in the bathroom and in the kitchen, water could penetrate under the floor covering. IMPORTANTLY! Until you eliminate the dampness, no means against bedbugs will help.
- Do not let the woodlice feed. Empty the trash can every day. Hide vegetables and fruits in the refrigerator or in airtight containers. Indoor flowers may have to be temporarily removed from the apartment. Sort through the junk, especially in the bathroom.
- Vacuum all the corners.
- Treat the apartment from lice with any convenient means to finally get rid of insects.
- Do a wet cleaning after finishing disinfection.
Means against lice
To get rid of lice, you can use chemical preparations bought in stores, or turn to folk wisdom.
Chemistry is much more effective, it is designed specifically against crawling insects and works faster, but it has a significant drawback – toxicity. If there are children or pets in the house, then while the apartment is being finished, let them have a better time at grandma’s. Do not risk their health. IMPORTANTLY! Antidote is often written on high-quality insect repellents in case of poisoning. Among the effective means of combating lice, the following can be distinguished:
- Tarax powder is diluted with water and applied to insect-infested areas using a sprayer.
- SCABENGEL gel is applied along the path of movement of insects. Attracts woodlice, which get poisoned by eating the gel.
- Diclofos is toxic to any insects, including woodlice.
- Liquid ghetto concentrate. When a woodlice comes into contact with the drug capsules, the insect dies.
- Tetrix emulsion for interior decoration. The death of woodlice is guaranteed within two days.
Folk remedies are much safer (not always), but most importantly – cheaper:
- Wet bait from fresh branches. You will need a branch of any tree or bush, but it is better to take a birch. It is necessary to moisten it slightly, shake it so that the excess water runs off. Leaves should be moist, not wet. Place a branch on the bathroom floor overnight. If before that you thoroughly dry the floor and walls, woodlice will crawl onto the proposed twigs in search of a new damp home. In the morning, simply discard the bait along with the insects. Repeat this for several nights in a row.
- Boric acid is a universal remedy against any insects. It is poisonous to them, and it also eats away the shell of woodlice. You can sprinkle dry powder everywhere, or dilute 20 g of powder per liter of water and treat all suspicious surfaces with the solution.
- Disinfect the apartment with chlorine or desactin.
- Potato bait. Cut out the middle, making a potato house. Spread the bait near the habitats of woodlice. In the morning, notice how the new residents chose the proposed houses. Throw them away and set new traps.
- Sprinkle salt on the bathroom floor, near the toilet and under the sink. Salt will absorb excess moisture, with a decrease in humidity, woodlice will go to look for a new home.
- Dilute dry kvass in hot water at the rate of 200 grams per 1 liter. Treat the apartment with a solution, it is believed that this smell is unpleasant for woodlice.
- Mix 100 g of dry tobacco, 10 g of red pepper, 10 g of soda, pour 1 liter of warm water. Leave the poison to brew for half an hour. Then treat the apartment with a solution. In the morning , disinfect everything with underwear .
Weevils are resistant to insecticides, so it may not be possible to get rid of them the first time. These insects will survive if the habitat is favorable. They need moisture. First of all, get rid of all sources of moisture, then the insects will leave your apartment themselves.