Unfortunately, sometimes white things don’t stay snow-white for very long. Synthetic clothing is no exception. In addition, this type of fabric is quite capricious when it comes to choosing detergents. Improper cleaning can ruin your favorite clothes once and for all. Let’s analyze how to whiten synthetics at home. In this case, it is extremely important to know which processing methods should be used, and which should not be used.
There can be several reasons why white synthetics lose their color, in particular, this happens if you:
- do not sort white and colored things separately;
- use cheap powders and detergents of dubious quality for washing;
- wash the thing after a certain time after contamination;
- use hard water for washing;
- wash the thing too often;
- do not store things made of synthetics correctly.
If white clothes made of white synthetics have turned gray after all, you can correct the situation yourself, using improvised or purchased chemicals.
What can not be done when bleaching synthetics
Bleaching white synthetic items has its subtleties and nuances. If you use the wrong method, it is likely that the product will be damaged, and it will be difficult or even impossible to restore it to its former appearance. To prevent this:
- in no case do not boil white synthetics;
- wash things only in lukewarm water;
- resort to soaking synthetic things only in difficult cases;
- do not use for bleaching containing chlorine;
- do not dry clothes in direct sunlight;
- spin things at minimum speed in the machine and do not wring them out by hand.
Folk methods of bleaching synthetic things
To whiten synthetics at home, you can use the simplest and most inexpensive substances that every housewife has in her kitchen cupboard.
- Salt . Dissolve 300 g of common table salt in 5 liters of warm water and soak the thing in the solution. Wait 20 minutes, then rinse the item thoroughly and put it in the washing machine.
- Rubbing alcohol and soda. A mixture of ammonia and soda will help remove gray from synthetics. To do this, dissolve 5 tbsp in 5 liters of warm water. spoon of baking soda and 1 tbsp. a spoonful of ammonia. Soak the clothes in a container with the solution for 3 hours, and then wash in the usual way.
- Soda (simple option) . You can give synthetic clothes their original linen with the help of ordinary baking soda. The first treatment method is suitable for bleaching not very dirty things. Just add 1-2 tablespoons to the washing powder. spoons of the substance into the compartment of the washing machine, and start the standard washing mode.
- Soda (for difficult pollution) . In more difficult situations, use baking soda for soaking. Adjust the concentration of the substance and the duration of treatment independently, depending on the degree of contamination of the product. Standard consistency 3 tbsp. l of soda per 10 l of warm water.
- Hydrogen peroxide . Universal bleach from a first-aid kit does an excellent job of cleaning white synthetics. Pour 5 liters of water into the container and add 1.5-2 tbsp. spoons of hydrogen peroxide. Wait half an hour, and send the product to the washing machine.
- Hydroperite. Instead of peroxide, you can use hydroperite in the proportion of 1 tablet per 1 liter of water. Soak things in the prepared solution for half an hour and lock them.
- Nasathyr . Both technical 25% ammonia solution and classic 10% ammonia are suitable for the procedure. Before the procedure, dissolve ammonia in water. The dosage of the substance is calculated based on the percentage content of the solution: use technical alcohol at the rate of 1 teaspoon per 5 liters of water, and classic alcohol at 1.5-2 tbsp. spoons Place synthetic items in the prepared solution and wait 2 hours. After that, send things to the wash.
- Manganese Sodium permanganate will help whiten things in just 10 minutes. It is extremely important to choose the correct dosage of the substance and not to overdo the thing in the solution, otherwise, instead of a white shirt or blouse, you will get a pink product. A properly prepared solution should be slightly pink. To get this color of liquid, 1 crystal of potassium permanganate will be enough for 2.5 liters of water. Dissolve the substance in water and place the product in the liquid for a maximum of 10 minutes. Then thoroughly rinse the item of clothing with warm water and wash.
- Boric acid . Small synthetic items, such as socks or underwear, can be bleached with boric acid. The substance helps not only to remove grayness and yellowness, but also to kill fungus bacteria in the fibers. To do this, mix 2 liters of water with 1 tbsp. spoon of boric acid, and soak things in the resulting solution for 1.5-2 hours. After processing, additionally wash the products.
- Acetylsalicylic acid . Ordinary aspirin, which is in almost any first-aid kit, does a good job of bleaching clothes. Before the procedure, dissolve the medicine in water at the rate of 6-8 tablets per glass of liquid. Soak the thing in the resulting solution for 3 hours, and then send it to the wash. For better results, you can also add a few aspirin tablets to your laundry detergent before washing.
Do not use acetylsalicylic acid too often, because in large quantities it can damage the parts of the washing machine.
- Household soap . A universal helper in the fight against grayness and yellowness is laundry soap. Wet the product and rub with a piece of soap until a thick foam is formed. Pour hot water over the treated clothes and leave to stand for an hour. After that, for a better effect, you can wash the thing in a machine.
It is worth noting that laundry soap will help to cope with the task only if the thing has lost its color very recently.
- Citric acid . Pour warm water into the container for soaking, add a little washing powder and 2 tbsp. spoons of citric acid. Mix the solution thoroughly, and place the product in the liquid. Wait 2 hours, and then wash the item by hand or in the washing machine.
- Mustard . You will need dry mustard powder for the procedure. Please note that the method is suitable if the temperature of the water for soaking will not be lower than 50 degrees, so before using mustard for a synthetic item, read the label. Mix 100 g of the substance with a small amount of water and mix thoroughly so that there are no lumps. Then add the resulting mixture to 10 liters of hot water. Soak the product in “mustard” water and wait 2 hours. After processing, wash the clothes in the usual way.
- Starch . Things should be bleached with starch immediately after washing. Dilute 200-300 g of starch in 10 liters of water and soak the thing in the resulting solution for 5-6 hours. After soaking, do not rinse the thing, but just hang it to dry. Starch will create a special protective film on the surface of the material that prevents dust from penetrating the fibers. In addition, starch will help make the synthetic fabric more rigid.
The assortment of household chemicals for whitening is full of variety, so it is quite easy to choose a suitable means for treatment. The main thing is to carefully study the packaging before buying, because the composition of the substance should not include chlorine.
- Soap “Antipyatin”. Before washing, thoroughly soap the material with “Antipyatin” soap and leave for 10-15 minutes. After that, rinse the product under running water and send it to wash. To enhance the effect, you can add a little detergent to the washing powder before washing.
- Amway Pre Wash spray . The substance does an excellent job of whitening synthetic items thanks to the surfactants included in the composition and acting together with special solvents. Apply the substance directly to the stain and rub with a sponge, then wash by hand or in the washing machine. It is worth noting that the method may not work the first time, so the procedure will have to be repeated.
- Amway SA8 powder . The tool works with the help of special reactions, as a result of which active oxygen and soda ash are released. These substances do an excellent job of removing stains and bleaching the fibers of the material. The powder begins to work in water with a temperature above 30 degrees, so perform such processing with extreme care so as not to spoil the synthetic thing. The product should be added during soaking or directly to the washing powder in a certain amount indicated in the instructions on the package.
- Bleachers with active oxygen. Recently popular oxygen bleaches do a good job of bleaching synthetics. Their work consists in the removal of pollution particles with the help of active oxygen, formed as a result of the decomposition of carbonate or peroxide carbonate into simpler substances. Such products work well in tandem with ordinary washing powder. Simply add the required amount of the substance to the appropriate compartment of the washing machine, unless the instructions on the package prohibit it.
How to remove stains
Most often, the appearance of white things can be spoiled by stains of various nature. You should not immediately send a piece of wardrobe to the trash can, you may be able to remove unpleasant grayness, yellowness, or local contamination yourself.
How to get rid of yellowness
You can get rid of the yellowness of white synthetic things with the help of household soap, ammonia, hydrogen peroxide, soda or aspirin. Use the recommendations above.
You can also wash off yellowness from white clothes with dry milk . To do this, it is enough to dissolve a two-hundred-gram pack of the product in warm water and wash the product in the resulting solution.
If the thing has turned gray
Grayness on white synthetic things usually appears due to the influence of dust and dirt, friction against dark surfaces or due to improper washing. Boric acid, potassium permanganate or table salt will help to get rid of grayness on products. Use the recommendations indicated above in folk remedies.
An ordinary toothpaste without dyes helps to eliminate grayness on the material . You will also need 125 g of baking powder and 75 g of salt for the procedure. Mix the substances and add 50 ml of table vinegar and 50 ml of water to the resulting gruel. Apply the finished mixture to the material and leave it for 1.5-2 hours. After that, rinse the thing thoroughly with running water and wash it.
If white clothes made of synthetics have faded
It happens that for some reason a thing made of white synthetics becomes colored after washing. If you notice a problem right away, try washing the product again right away with a powder suitable for bleaching synthetics. In more complex cases, use a solution of potassium permanganate or soda for bleaching.
You can prepare a special solution for whitening.
- To do this, mix 60 ml of medical alcohol, 60 ml of tartaric acid and 30 g of citric acid.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly, apply to problem areas and rub into the material with a soft brush for 5 minutes.
- After that, rinse the substances from the fabric, and wash the product in the classic way.
Please note that it is strictly forbidden to use hot water for bleaching, as the dye will be even more firmly fixed in the fibers.
How to remove grease stains
Table salt or crushed chalk cope well with greasy stains. Just rub the substance into the greasy spot and leave it for 1.5-2 hours for the effect. After that, thoroughly rub the affected area with a brush and wash the item in the machine.
How to get rid of rust stains
You can remove traces of rust from white synthetics with the help of hot lemon juice. For this:
- Cut several slices of citrus and wrap each one in cheesecloth.
- Spread the product on an ironing board or any other horizontal surface, and spread lemon wedges on the affected areas.
- Turn on the iron, and carefully press the lemon to the material.
If the product has acquired a yellow tint due to washing in rust-contaminated water, use a mixture of ammonia and hydrogen peroxide for bleaching.
How to remove fuel oil stains
Do not wash clothes with fuel oil stains with other things. The best option is to first remove the mark, and only then send the product to the washing machine. To remove a small fresh stain of fuel oil from synthetic materials, you can use a dishwashing liquid. Wet the material slightly, and after placing a thick cloth or cardboard under the area with a trace of fuel oil, apply 2-3 drops of detergent. Carefully rub the substance on the contaminated area, moving from the edges to the center. Leave the product on for 30 minutes, and then wash the thing with your hands.
If the stain is stale, soften it with butter before cleaning. Before processing, cut a piece of the product of the required size, and keep it in the room for a few minutes. Put the oil on the stain and wait at least 3-4 hours. When the fuel oil trace softens, you can clean the stain with household chemicals.
How to get rid of marks under the armpits
Sometimes yellowness on a white synthetic item appears only in certain places, for example, under the armpits. To get rid of unpleasant pollution, you can treat problem areas:
- a slice of half a lemon;
- a cotton swab soaked in a saturated soda solution;
- cotton pad soaked in alcohol solution.
After processing, be sure to wash the product in the usual mode.
Note that using hot water to remove yellowness will only exacerbate the problem.
Tips for whitening
In order to achieve the maximum whitening result, be sure to take into account the features of the processed products.
Features of bleaching children’s underwear
Despite the fact that in most cases children’s clothes are made of natural materials, sometimes white synthetic clothes are found in a child’s wardrobe. It is necessary to bleach the child’s things very carefully, as the child’s skin is extremely sensitive to various substances.
Baking soda will be an excellent hypoallergenic agent for whitening. It will not only eliminate grayness and yellowness, but also perform antiseptic treatment. You can also use laundry soap or starch without risking the child’s health.
How to whiten synthetic lace
It is better to process lace products or clothes with guipure inserts only after washing. To make things snow-white again, mix ammonia with hydrogen peroxide in a ratio of 2:1, and pour the resulting solution into a basin of warm water. Soak the product in liquid for 30 minutes, and then rinse thoroughly under running water.
In addition, you can whiten a yellowed thing from lace with the help of tar soap. First, wash the product by hand in the classic way using tar soap, and then send it to the washing machine, adding ordinary washing powder and fabric conditioner to get rid of the unpleasant smell.
Features of bleaching curtains and blinds
The main rule of bleaching tulle is not to wash the material in hot water, otherwise it will turn yellow or gray even more. The optimal temperature for processing is 30 degrees.
To restore whiteness to synthetic curtains, use solutions based on hydrogen peroxide, ammonia, baking soda or table salt.
Do not bleach dirty material, it is better to pre-wash the product by hand or in a washing machine. To simultaneously whiten and add stiffness to the tulle, use starch.
What to do if the clothes have colored or black inserts
If white clothing has colored or black inserts, use household bleaching products that act locally, such as sprays or liquids that are applied directly to the stained areas.
Colored inserts can be pre-treated with a special agent so that you don’t have to worry about them fading later. Buy a liquid organic substance “Color” in the department of household chemicals and carefully, without going beyond the edges, apply it to the colored areas. Wait 2 hours and then rinse the item. Now you can easily whiten the white parts of the product.
How to preserve the whiteness of things made of synthetics
In order for synthetic things to remain white for a long time, pay attention to their storage and care:
- always separate white and colored products before washing;
- do not wash synthetic, cotton, woolen and silk items at the same time;
- always soak underwear in cold water for about 60 minutes before washing;
- soften hard water for washing with soda;
- iron clothes immediately before wearing, not before storing;
- do not use optical brighteners too often, the best option is 1 time in 4 washes;
- always dry clothes to the end and do not put wet laundry in the closet;
- keep the drain filter of the washing machine clean.
For prevention, you can use ammonia by adding a few drops of the substance to the powder compartment before washing. You can restore the original appearance of white synthetics with the help of improvised or purchased means. Regardless of which method you prefer, always follow the rules for processing synthetic materials. Always wash white clothes separately from others, use only non-hot water for processing and take into account the characteristics of specific products. Regularly carry out preventive measures to preserve the color, and then white synthetic things will have an attractive appearance for a long time.