Probably, almost every person has faced the problem when a stain from a ballpoint pen appears on a leather sofa. Moreover, something like this can happen completely suddenly, banally due to one’s carelessness. And here the question arises, how to clean and with what to wash the handle from a leather sofa, so that not only does not leave a mark, but also does not spoil the upholstery itself. Fortunately, today there are various methods of eliminating this, and it can be done at home, without making any special efforts.
What is most often used
In order to cope with the task and remove the ink from the ballpoint pen, you can use both special detergents and folk methods, which have also proven themselves very well. Here are the products that are most effective:
- dishwashing liquid (will be effective only if used immediately);
- alcohol-containing products, for example, vodka, ethyl or medical alcohol;
- nail polish remover or acetone;
- household soap;
Importantly! To make the task easier, don’t forget to stock up on a sponge, a brush of medium softness, cotton pads and a soft dry cloth.
It is quite simple to wash off ink stains in this way:
- Apply hairspray to the fresh ballpoint pen stain.
- Wait 30 seconds and wipe the leather sofa with a damp cloth.
The only drawback of this cleaning method is that few people have hairspray at home, and buying it separately just to remove pen stains would be an irrational and uneconomical decision. Such cosmetics are more expensive than special cleaning gels.
If you do not know how to wipe the pen from the skin, then one of the easiest and most effective methods is to use alcohol. This substance effectively copes with various impurities, as it is a good solvent, especially for ink.
It is immediately worth noting that alcohol is one of the best products for cleaning, as it not only neutralizes stains in the shortest possible time, but also absolutely does not harm the leather upholstery, unlike the same modern stain removers.
Advice! It is preferable to use pure alcohol, but if it is not at hand, you can use any alcohol-containing products, such as perfume, cologne, antiseptic, etc.
What you need to do:
- Dip a cotton swab (or a sponge, if the contamination is extensive) in alcohol and begin to carefully process the ink spot.
- Periodically change the cotton wool to a clean one. This is important because the alcohol will dissolve the ink, which in turn will begin to absorb into the cotton wool.
- Try not to touch clean areas. Cotton “contaminated” with ink can contaminate clean skin, and washing will require much more space.
It is best to use if the sofa has a light shade . You will need to remove stains as follows:
- Wet a chamois cloth abundantly in fatty milk, wring it out slightly and apply it to the problem area.
- After 5 minutes, you will need to try to wipe the stain, while the movements should be careful and not too intense, otherwise the ink filler will penetrate even deeper.
- As the cloth becomes stained, you will need to wash it and soak it again in milk.
The only disadvantage of this method is that it will take you a long time to remove the stain. But at the same time, you absolutely will not spoil the surface of the upholstery.
Keep in mind that this liquid is, in fact, a solvent, so it will not be a problem to remove stains from a ballpoint pen with it. But there is a problem with poorly dyed leather or leather substitute, which can change color due to the effect of acetone.
Advice! Acetone can be replaced with a manicure remover. There are options for a product without acetone, which will be less effective, but will cope with a fresh ink stain on the sofa.
- Before proceeding directly to the treatment itself, do not forget to walk over the problem area with a damp cloth, and then wipe it all with a disposable napkin. And after that, you can start applying acetone.
- Acetone should be applied using a cotton swab, carefully, acting only on the stain from the ballpoint pen. Otherwise, your favorite leather sofa will have a huge stain covered with small flakes of cracked leather in no time.
- Wash off the remains of the product with a damp clean cloth. Wipe dry.
Keep in mind that it is dangerous to remove contamination in this way, as there is a possibility that the cleaned area may lighten after such exposure. That is why it is necessary to resort to such methods only in extreme cases.
With its help, you can also wash the pen and other ink from leatherette. But the result will be only if literally a couple of minutes have passed after the contamination. You will need:
- Lather a brush of medium hardness abundantly and carefully walk over the damaged area.
- Do not forget to constantly remove excess foam with a regular cotton pad or napkin.
- Wipe the cleaned surface dry.
Folk cleaning mixtures
If you need to wash the pen, do not despair, the following compositions will help you cope with the task:
- Mix a small amount of any dishwashing detergent (about 10 ml) with a teaspoon of baking soda and dilute it all with water (about 100 ml). The composition will need to be applied to the stain with a brush, and then washed off thoroughly.
- Ink spots can also be removed using the following solution. Pour 10 g of glycerin with ammonia (proportions should be 1:5). Apply this composition to the problem area and leave it on for 10-15 minutes, and then remove the residue with a damp cloth.
- A mixture of soda with lemon juice also has a good effect, but you need to resort to this method only if all other means have turned out to be powerless. This composition is very caustic and hard, so after treatment with it there is also a possibility of lightening the skin. But, nevertheless, many housewives periodically use this composition, because even if a lighted area suddenly appears on the sofa, it can easily be painted over with a special spray paint that will not differ in any way from the main tone of the material.
Now you know how to clean a leather sofa and how to wash off ink stains. Since all the methods described above are more than effective, you can use any of them that you just like. Well, if it was not possible to get rid of the contamination, or you simply doubt your abilities, it will be much wiser to seek help from a dry cleaner.