Having put an oily stain on your clothes, you don’t need to panic and think in which trash can to throw the spoiled thing. You can still fix it, but you won’t be able to remove it in the usual way. Indeed, ordinary washing with powder will not help to remove such impurities. But experienced housewives know: there are proven methods for both fresh and old stains from greasy food. Let’s figure out how to wash a greasy stain on clothes. The proposed methods will help to wash traces of food and various oils, including those used in the automotive or construction industries.
An important rule ! The sooner you start fighting a greasy stain, the better the result will be.
Handy products and household chemicals will help with greasy stains. Each method has its own nuances regarding application, and now in more detail.
The easiest thing to do is to take table salt. This method of cleaning is especially convenient if a disaster with greasy marks occurred during a feast. There is no need to run away from the guests, just reach for the salt shaker.
- Sprinkle the stain liberally with ordinary table salt and begin to gently rub it into the affected area of the fabric. You will see how the salt begins to saturate with fat, absorbing it.
- When the salt is completely absorbed, it should be shaken off and sprinkled with a new portion of the stain.
- The procedure is repeated until the fat traces completely disappear.
- Wash clothes as usual with soap or powder.
Importantly! Salt will help wash away only a fresh stain of fat.
If you did not have time to resuscitate the clothes with salt, and the grease has long been absorbed, use a universal household detergent made of salt and soda.
- Take about a teaspoon each of salt and soda, mix. If you need to wash off an old greasy mark, then add water to the mixture, preparing a slurry.
- Lightly pour water on the stain on the clothes and spread the resulting mixture on top.
- Keep the thing in this form for 15 minutes, and then wash it in soapy water.
You can sprinkle mustard powder on the affected area of clothing. The principle of action is similar to a mixture of soda and salt.
Vinegar and water are excellent for removing fat from fabric:
- Combine vinegar and water in equal proportions.
- Pour the resulting solution over the contaminated area. After a few minutes you can see the result.
- Wash with a soapy solution and rinse.
- If a greasy mark remains, repeat the procedure.
Important ! It is good to treat white and light-colored things with a similar solution. Dark ones are not always suitable. Vinegar can change their color or color saturation.
Nasathyr is a universal tool that is used not only in medicine. It is especially popular among housewives, as a universal remedy for everything from everything.
- Wet the edges of the greasy stain with water so that it does not spread.
- Soak a cotton swab in ammonia. Apply to the fat, which will begin to split and absorb into the cotton wool.
- Take a clean cotton wool, soak it again in ammonia and continue removing fatty residues.
- When there is no trace of the greasy stain, wash the clothes in soapy water or in a washing machine.
Instead of ammonia, you can take any alcohol or alcoholic preparation. They will be less effective, but will also help with the removal of pollution.
The champion for removing greasy dirt from clothes is ordinary household soap. They should rub the stain, pre-wetting it with warm water, and leave the thing for several hours somewhere in a basin, then wash the product as usual. It will be more effective if soaked in soapy water:
- Rub the soap into the shavings.
- Fill a basin with warm water and dissolve the soap completely.
- Soak the clothes, rub the contaminated areas, you can additionally soap them up. Leave the thing for 1-2 hours in soapy water.
- Later, it remains only to rinse the thing, and no traces will remain.
Gel for dishes
A good effect, as a rule, is given by the use of ordinary dishwashing detergent. In such products, fat is split by surfactants. It is good if they are prepared on a plant basis (this should be indicated on the label), such components work more effectively. Contrary to well-known statements that such products successfully deal with fat in cold water, it is better to use hot water for soaking and subsequent washing.
Wash in the same way as in the case of soaking with laundry soap.
- Add dishwashing detergent to the water, stir. To enhance the effect, you can add a little soda: 1 tbsp. for 10 liters of water.
- Soak the stained clothes for several hours.
- Rinse thoroughly. Dishwashing detergent is difficult to wash off, so you will have to rinse it several times. In no case do not try to wash clothes with kitchen detergent in the washing machine – it foams a lot, which will ruin your equipment.
There is another option: mix gel for dishes with soda until a slurry forms, rub the affected area of the fabric with this slurry, hold for a few minutes until the soda dries, wash off with warm water. In this case, the gel will break down the fat, and the soda will absorb the remains.
There are a lot of them on sale today, but it is advisable to choose exactly those products that are designed specifically for oily stains.
Different means have their main active components. Each of these components has its own characteristics:
- stain removers based on sorbents effectively remove only fresh grease stains, old ones are poorly treated;
- solvents can negatively affect the color of the fabric;
- only white things can be washed with chlorine;
- enzyme means for removing stains are not very effective in washing fat;
- oxygen-based stain removers gently clean any fabric and are completely suitable for oily stains.
Therefore, before using this or that means for removing stains, you should carefully familiarize yourself with its composition, it is possible to damage clothes due to ignorance.
Surprisingly, it easily removes fat from Coca-Cola or Fanta fabric. It is only necessary to use means from the real manufacturer of these products, and not numerous surrogates, which contain many cheap dyes that can spoil clothes.
- Pour cola into a shallow plate.
- Spread the clothes so that the grease stain is above the plate, and dip the cloth in the circle. That is, you only need to soak the contaminated area.
- Leave the product to act on the fat for 20-30 minutes.
- Wash with soap and rinse.
Gasoline removes any grease well. Only clothes after it should be washed well to get rid of the characteristic smell. In addition, gasoline is a last resort for things of the category “it’s okay if it breaks, but if you wash it, it will be fine.”
- Dip a clean cotton cloth or cotton pad in gasoline.
- Apply to the greasy mark, hold it like this for 1-2 minutes. It is important that the clothes get soaked.
- Take a new clean cloth or cotton wool, wet it again and apply it. Repeat the procedure until the stain begins to disappear.
- Wash with soap, washing away grease and gasoline. If the trace remains, repeat washing with gasoline.
If you have an iron with a steam function, you can iron the stain with hot steam several times. When there is no such function, you should hold the clothes over the steam for a while, and then iron the stain with a regular iron.
Important ! When ironing clothes, place a clean sheet of paper under the greasy stain so that the grease is absorbed into it. When the contamination disappears, wash the cloth with soap.
Denim has the ability to shed with each wash. So, if you treat an oily stain on this type of clothing with an active substance, you can get another stain – a noticeable light color.
Therefore, denim clothes, especially new ones, can be washed only with delicate means. Hot starch is good for this, which should be carefully rubbed into the affected area in the same way as salt.
In general, it is better not to leave greasy stains on clothes. If you are careful while eating, you won’t need any urgent locking and soaking. Then the clothes will last longer.