Pets sometimes defecate in the wrong place, on the carpet or sofa. Therefore, one of the inevitable problems for owners is to find a way to get rid of this unwanted flavor. There are many ways, how to remove the smell of cat urine. Specialized household chemicals are very effective, but not always at hand. But in every house there are means that can help.
First of all, it is necessary to find out what became the source of an unpleasant smell in the apartment. Depending on the material, the most suitable cleaning agent can be selected.
With cat litter, towels and clothes, if they are allowed to wash, you can remove the smell of urine with divorced vinegar.
Immediately after the detection of a stained item, it must be soaked in a vinegar solution. It is prepared at home, mixing 1 part of 9% vinegar with 3 parts of warm water. This can be done in glass, plastic or enamelware. Do not use aluminum containers for acid solutions. After a two-hour soaking, the thing must be wrung out and sent to a washing machine, using soap-powder and washing regime suitable for the type of fabric.
Cushioned furniture and carpets
Interior items of an apartment with a textile covering that need to be cleaned from cat urine, but which cannot be washed, as well as carpets and mattresses, can be treated with various improvised means. The choice of detergent depends on the color of the product.
Dark surfaces of furniture and carpets:
- A weak (light pink) solution of potassium permanganate copes well with the removal of urine stains. A few crystals completely dissolve in 0.5 liters’ warm water. Using a sponge for washing dishes, Put the agent on a soiled place. Then, soak the liquid with paper napkins or absorbent cloth and finally remove the cat’s stains.
- Water with iodine also has a similar effect. A few drops of alcohol solution of iodine pour in two glasses of water. Iodine actively interacts with urine, eliminating an unpleasant odor.
- The most affordable means will be strong black tea. Brew two teaspoons of a tea into a glass of boiling water. Leave to stand for about 15 minutes, then filter. The resulting liquid is used to wash the soiled area.
For light surfaces, dilute food acids can be used. The most popular means of this kind are aqueous solutions of a vinegar and citric acids, as well as diluted lemon juice. Fresh stain of cat urine is enough to wash once or twice. Proportions for cultivation of citric acid: 5 g per 1 liter of water. For lemon juice: one lemon per 1 liter. It is important to remember that acids can brighten the cloth.
If you need to remove the old stain of urine, then add soda to the solution. First sprinkle with a soda soiled area, then pour a solution.
If the cat’s urine has fallen on wooden floors, parquet or furniture, then it is better to apply a comprehensive stage-by-stage cleaning. It is not suitable for lacquered surfaces, and also note that a dark wood can become lighter after removing the stain.
- Remove the remains of urine by wiping with a napkin/
- Prepare the vinegar and apply it with a sponge. After 15 minutes remove the liquid.
- Pour soda onto the dried surface, hold for 15 more minutes.
- Mix 50 ml of 3% peroxide and a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid. Optimal use of a hand sprayer, but you can do with a sponge. Wet spilled soda.
- Allow the mixture to dry and remove it with a vacuum cleaner.
Laminate and linoleum
Remove stains of urine from linoleum or laminate can be with vinegar or alcohol liquids, for example, vodka, an alcohol solution of boric acid.
Before using them, remove urine from the floor. Use for this sorbents – soda or salt. Pour them on a fresh puddle and do not touch half an hour. They will absorb all the fetid liquid. The sharp smell of ethyl alcohol does not apply to pleasant, so it is recommended to wash the floor with clean water and to ventilate the apartment.
Sometimes the source of trouble in the apartment is a poorly washed cat’s tray. To solve this problem, it is sufficient to wash the container with vinegar and wipe off with a toilet paper or cloth before replacing the filler.
So, with the smell of cat urine you can cope with the help of improvised means. Selecting them depending on the type of contaminated surface, be sure to remove the unpleasant odor and do not damage your favorite things.