The laundry was washed and dried, but for some reason it became hard and unpleasant to the touch. This often happens mainly with terrycloth and other fluffy fabrics. This is usually combated with the help of special means – washing conditioners. But how to make clothes soft after washing without conditioner, if it is not at hand or cannot be used for other reasons? Let’s try to figure it out.
Why fabrics become stiff after washing
There are several reasons for this:
- Improper drying. Most often, immediately after spinning, the laundry is placed on a rope, a specialized dryer stand or a battery. In the process of washing, fabrics lose hydrogen bonds. And with the sudden evaporation of water, these bonds are restored faster, which forces the cellulose to take a stronger state. The faster the drying, the more actively the cellulose hardens. Therefore, laundry that is dried in the open sun or batteries seems even denser. In turn, smooth and moving drying, for example, in a special drying machine, allows you to avoid such consequences.
- An excess of washing powder makes laundry harder. It is for this reason that it is important to clearly measure the detergent according to the proposed scheme on the package. Moreover, it is necessary to take into account the addition of bleaching agents and stain removers. With them, the percentage of powder is reduced or an additional rinse cycle is added.
- Unrinsed powder remains in the fibers of the laundry and makes it unpleasant to the touch, and later affects the smell. Most often, the reason for poor washing of the powder is low washing temperatures, at which the powder does not dissolve completely. For washing at 30-40°C, it is recommended to use liquid, gel-like detergents or capsules for washing.
- Hard water. By itself, hard water does not change the texture of the fabric (but it can take away its color). However, due to the high hardness of the water, it is necessary to use more washing powder, which is often not washed completely. Therefore, the proposed mode, where most often one wash + two rinses, is not enough to wash the laundry well. And after drying, we have hard terry towels, kitchen napkins, etc.
In the case of hard water, the solution to the problem is the use of chemical or mechanical softeners. These can be special powders or softeners for hard water. Also, the hardness of the water is solved with the help of special filters (salt, membrane), magnetic and ion systems, which are installed at the entrance of the nozzle with cold water.
Ways to make laundry softer without conditioner
If you do not have the opportunity to use conditioner (for example, due to an allergic reaction), there are several options to soften laundry without using chemicals.
Balls for washing
The simplest option can be called laundry balls. Of course, you already know that they are usually used for down jackets, pillows. Small rubber balls with powerful spikes jump during the rotation of the drum and knock down laundry. But they will be able to serve here as well. Use them when washing terry products so that the fibers are constantly beaten and do not stick together later.
WARNING! The above-mentioned method is prohibited for washing delicate fabrics.
Soaking in saline solution
First, wash the laundry as usual. It is recommended to soak rinsed and wrung laundry for 8-10 hours in a salt solution:
- 1 liter of water;
- 15 g of salt.
Immediately after that, the laundry is wrung out by hand and dried. The method is most suitable for bath towels, terry bed linen, bathrobes.
Vinegar when washing
Vinegar is added directly to the drum. Table 9% vinegar solution will help to get rid not only of hardness, but also to remove some stains. For this:
- measure 50-100 ml of vinegar, depending on the amount of laundry;
- pour into the air conditioner compartment;
- add 5 drops of any essential oil (stops the strong smell of vinegar);
- set the required washing mode.
Washed linen is guaranteed to be soft and fragrant. Even if immediately after washing things will give off a little vinegar, do not worry – the smell will evaporate during drying.
Vinegar when washing becomes a plus in the prevention of musty smell from the machine. Acids kill the cause of its appearance – molds.
Baking soda and essential oils
Another option for a home air conditioner. The softening and cleansing properties of soda give an excellent result. And your favorite essential oil will give the linen the desired smell.
It is recommended to use essential oils of lavender, vanilla, juniper, ylang-ylang, sage for washing bed linen. They help calm the nervous system, relax and fall asleep quickly.
For cooking you need:
- 100 ml of water;
- 30 g of soda;
- 5 drops of essential oil.
Pour the product into the air conditioner compartment.
By the way, fine salt will work instead of soda. It is allowed not to dissolve soda in water, but simply to fall asleep with the addition of flavoring.
Cosmetic products contain many moisturizing components that can help in the fight against the hardness of underwear. Of course, it is not necessary to specially buy a balm for this. But if it is idle at home, for example, it did not suit you, then it can be used in washing.
- 20 ml of balm;
- 30 ml of vinegar;
- 60 ml of water.
Everything is mixed and poured into the machine.
You cannot use shampoo for this. It gives a strong foam.
Rubbing alcohol is also able to soften textiles. You don’t need a lot of it – no more than 1 tsp. per 1 liter of water. Things are soaked in this solution for 1-2 hours before the main wash. After that, wash at a temperature not higher than 40 °C.
Ammonia is corrosive, so there must be a constant flow of air in the room where the laundry will be soaked.
The methods are simple and accessible to every housewife. You should not worry that salt, vinegar or ammonia will spoil the fabrics. Compositions do not affect the integrity or their color. You can wash white, black and colored items. Exceptions are delicate fabrics: silk, nylon, etc.
Try the method you like and enjoy cozy, soft underwear always. But, remember, if the reason is the hardness of the water, then there is no need to delay with drastic decisions. Otherwise, you risk losing your washing machine.