Cats are rightly considered neat animals, but they also have a feature that causes a lot of trouble for their owners. Mostly non-sterilized pets like to wash selected areas of the house or apartment with urine. And for some reason, their favorite objects are upholstered furniture, which complicates the situation somewhat. After all, figuring out how to get rid of the smell of cat urine from a sofa is a little more difficult than from a smooth floor covering.
Why does cat smell appear?
It’s all about the composition of cat urine. It consists of urea, urochrome and uric acid. After drying, cat urine becomes sticky – this is due to the specific properties of urea. Due to uric acid, urine crystallizes very quickly, which prevents it from being cleaned with water later. Well, urochrome is responsible for the color.
The main culprit of the stench is urea, which crystallizes under the action of uric acid. As mentioned above, it is quite difficult to wash these crystals. Even if everything looks normal on the outside, the smell will still remain until effective remedies are applied.
As soon as the fact that the cat defiles the favorite chair or sofa is discovered, it is necessary to immediately start cleaning it. Do not wait until the urine is absorbed into the upholstery material, let alone dry.
Do not rush and buy industrial mixtures. In every home there are enough handy tools that will help clean fabric furniture elements from cat tracks.
A solution of household soap
Glycerin, which is present in sufficient quantities in household soap, breaks down the main aroma of cat urine – urea. That is why the use of a soap solution is the number one tool in the fight against the marks of mustachioed pets. The solution is prepared very simply:
- Grate the soap or chop it with a knife;
- Dilute in warm water;
- Rub the prepared mixture into the surface of the upholstery and leave for 10-15 minutes;
- After the operation, you can wash off the soap residue with a damp cloth.
To fix the effect, wipe the affected area with alcohol. This will temporarily prevent the cat from marking again.
Manganese or iodine
These medical preparations can be used only to remove relatively fresh stains from upholstered furniture upholstered with dark materials. In addition to its oxidizing properties, the potassium permanganate solution has a significant deodorizing effect, which is especially important when eliminating various odors. To destroy cat pollution you need:
- Dilute potassium permanganate in warm water, bringing it to a rich pink color.
- Use a soft cloth or a non-abrasive sponge to liberally apply the solution to the marked area.
- After 5 minutes, wash with warm clean water.
Lemon juice is a powerful oxidizer that can quickly break down urea crystals – the main source of persistent odor. Therefore, as soon as you notice that the cat has peed on the sofa, do the following:
- Cut a lemon in half and squeeze the juice directly onto the stain.
- Take a soft sponge, dip it in lemon juice and wipe.
- If the contamination is old, the procedure will have to be repeated after 20 minutes.
In addition to eliminating the unpleasant smell, lemon will leave its mark, which cats do not like very much, in any case, they do not like to mark places that smell of citrus.
Important ! If this method removes a stain from a colored or delicate material, the lemon juice must be thoroughly washed with clean water. Otherwise, partial discoloration of the treated area is possible.
This food product will help even from old traces of cat litter. For this you need:
- Thoroughly wet the upholstery of the sofa with a cloth or paper napkin.
- Cover for a while with an absorbent used in toilets for pets.
- Wait until it is absorbed and clean the treated area with a vacuum cleaner.
- Dilute vinegar with water in proportion to each other.
- Take a clean cloth and rub the prepared mixture into the stain.
Acetic acid destroys the aromatic elements of cat feces, but in the process of neutralization, a by-product of decomposition – thiols – is formed. It is also easy to remove with baking soda. We sprinkle soda on the wet treated area and let it dry. Remove the remains with a vacuum cleaner.
If you immediately notice that the cat has purred, take powdered baking soda and generously sprinkle the crime scene. Old stains are removed a little differently:
- We make a liquid pasty solution of soda in warm water.
- Rub the prepared mixture into the stain. For this, we use a piece of cloth or, for deeper penetration, a brush.
- We leave it until the surface dries, after which we wipe it with a soapy solution.
Another drug that can be used to prepare an effective mixture for cleaning a sofa from cat urine. For this:
- We take 10-15 ml of peroxide (15 cubes in a syringe or about 3 teaspoons);
- Two tablespoons of liquid soap or grated household soap;
- Two tablespoons of soda.
- We abundantly cover the affected area with the prepared mixture and wait until it dries completely. After that, wash everything with a soapy solution and rinse with clean water.
An alternative option for using peroxide:
- We rub baking soda into the fresh stain.
- We take a sprayer and spray the contaminated area with a solution prepared from water and hydrogen peroxide (take the ingredients in equal proportions).
- We wait for complete drying and remove the remains with a vacuum cleaner.
Industrial detergents for odor elimination
If all the methods described above are ineffective, products specially designed for this purpose will help remove the persistent smell of cat urine from the sofa. You can find it in places where household goods are sold or in large pet stores. The peculiarity of these drugs is their selective effect on organic pollutants, which, as a rule, are the main source of stench.
The best effect of neutralizing the smell of urine is observed from those mixtures, which include proprietary developments of manufacturers – special groups of enzymes (enzymes). Under the action of these substances, uric acid crystals are destroyed, which almost completely neutralizes the aromatic fractions in the traces of the cat toilet.
Before using them, it is necessary to carefully study the instructions. In addition, these products have one important feature: the effect of their use will be noticeable no earlier than 2-3 days after treating the spots.
As mentioned above, owners of unsterilized pets are most often faced with uncontrollable cat urination. If this has already happened, you need to completely get rid of the smell on the pieces of furniture, otherwise the animal will definitely urinate there again and, most likely, more than once.
When the kitten has just settled in the apartment, there is no need to postpone its habituation to the personal toilet. For this:
- We buy a cat tray and an absorbent for it (as a last resort, you can use sawdust or sand);
- As soon as the young pet has marked in an unspecified place, we take a napkin, wet the urine and put it in the tray;
- We take the kitten and show where its toilet is (we let it smell the napkin);
- We repeat the procedure until the animal realizes where it has to defecate (guessing individuals understand from the second or third time).
If a similar problem started to happen with an adult cat or cat, there are usually several reasons for this:
- Didn’t like the tray. A possible solution is to change the tray to a more suitable one.
- The tray is in a place that the animal does not like. It is solved by finding a more suitable place.
If you remove all the contents from the cat tray, to replace it with a clean one, the cat may not immediately orientate where it should go about its business. Therefore, you should always leave some old absorbent in the tray. The pet feels a familiar smell and quickly understands where to relieve a natural need.
How to do it is not necessary
Some pet owners try to solve the problem by masking cat scents with strong-smelling products. This refers to the use of various types of deodorants, food flavorings, essential oils, brewed coffee in dry form and other similar products. Unfortunately, they are able to eliminate the problem only for a very short time, and as a result, the smell not only remains, but also acquires an incomprehensible shade.
You should not try to wash off such pollution with chlorine-containing substances. They are not very effective in neutralizing the cat smell and can even strengthen it a little. In addition, upholstery of upholstered furniture will most likely deteriorate, and chlorine vapors are completely useless for any organism.