Nowadays, it is difficult to find a house without a washing machine. Indeed, it has become an irreplaceable “saving stick” in matters of cleanliness of clothes. In order for this unit to work properly and perform its functions well, careful and constant maintenance is necessary. If the washing machine starts to smell unpleasant, take urgent measures. Let’s consider the causes of this event and ways to get rid of the smell in the washing machine.
Causes and solutions
The main reason for the appearance of an unpleasant smell is bacteria, for which a moist and warm environment is very favorable. This also includes the formation of mold and fungus. It is they who spread the stench, but the reason for the reproduction of microorganisms can be different, accordingly, the way to solve this problem will depend on your conditions:
- Water hardness. Lime scale accumulates in the machine after dozens of washes, where colonies of microorganisms grow. The solution is to soften the water by adding special softeners or regular baking soda (2 tablespoons of soda in the powder compartment) to the wash.
- Lack of proper care of the washing machine. After each wash, it is necessary to wipe the drum, wash the container for detergents, remove water from the rubber cuff, which is located on the hatch. Water and debris get into the folds of the cuff, which leads to the appearance of black mold. If this happened, then try to wash the fungus with vinegar or dishwashing detergent. It did not work – change the cuff.
- By closing the door of the washing machine without letting it dry, you create a real steam room inside the drum, which provokes the appearance of a rotten smell. Let the machine dry with the door open for an hour or two.
- The washing machine is designed for washing, not for storing things. When storing dirty things in the drum, especially raw ones, microorganisms and odors are most likely to appear in the machine. Place the drum right before washing, and take out the washed clothes immediately after finishing.
- Improper use of washing powder and other means. If you regularly add a large amount of detergent that exceeds the prescribed rate, the excess does not dissolve and remains inside the machine, representing an excellent environment for the growth of bacteria.
- The problem may also lie in the low quality of detergents, which do not dissolve well and provoke the appearance of an undesirable smell. To get rid of the stench, it is enough to wash the washing machine with the addition of vinegar or citric acid and never use low-quality powders again.
- Regular washing at low temperature and minimal spinning. This leads to the fact that the dirt does not dissolve and is not sufficiently removed from the drum through the drain. The result is a sticky slime that stinks of rot and mold. To prevent this from happening, periodically run the washing machine at high temperatures.
After you have found out the cause of the stench, you need to get rid of it with available means. As a rule, the result of a foul smell is a combination of factors.
How to remove the smell
To get rid of the stench, it is important to carry out a comprehensive cleaning of the washing machine and thoroughly wash all its parts, in which microorganisms are most likely to accumulate.
- Rubber ring on the hatch, cuffs. Treat with a disinfectant, open the folds, clean with a cotton swab.
- Container for loading powder and conditioner. A thin film of dirt and detergents can form on it, under which mold appears, emitting an unpleasant smell. Take it off. In order to clean this element, it is necessary to soak the tray for some time in a disinfectant. You can use ordinary underwear or desactin for this. Then rinse, wash with soapy water, clean hard-to-reach places with a cotton swab or toothbrush. Rinse again and replace the container.
- Detergent supply channel. When you remove the powder tray, you will see the hole through which the detergent enters the drum. Shine a flashlight into it. If you see traces of fungus or deposits, take a sponge and try to clean the channel. So you will get rid of another reason for the smell. It is worth noting that with regular cleaning of the container, the channel will remain clean. In case of severe pollution, it is better to call a master.
- Drain filter. It catches large objects so they don’t end up in the drain. It should be changed once every six months, otherwise lint, buttons and other junk will start to stink. Getting rid of the problem is easy – replace the filter.
- Drain hose. If the clothes not only stink after washing, but also smell strongly of fragrances and powder, then the drain is most likely clogged. Wash at the maximum temperature, this may soften and wash away the sludge. If it did not help, you will need to replace the hose.
- When all the parts of the washing machine are separately washed and checked, start it empty at the maximum temperature with the addition of one portion of powder. This will finally eliminate the unpleasant smell.
Citric acid and vinegar against odor in the washing machine
Ordinary washing powder does not always effectively help to get rid of the stench. The best way to remove the smell and dirt in the washing machine is to wash with the addition of vinegar or citric acid.
- You can wash it empty (that is, an empty drum) or you can put things in it that are not harmful (for example, bed linen with a stain that cannot be removed by ordinary washing). In this way, you can wash not only the washing machine, but also various persistent pollution.
- Pour 120-150 grams of citric acid into the powder compartment or pour a glass of apple cider vinegar. Choose only one tool.
- Set the maximum temperature. If you put laundry on, set it to a double rinse and 600-800 spins.
- Run the washing machine.
- After washing, smell if the smell has disappeared. Don’t worry if it just got worse. This means that the plaque is strong, but it has already reacted with acids and started to peel off. Run the washing machine again with the addition of vinegar or citric acid to finally get rid of the source of the unpleasant smell.
A washing machine significantly eases household chores, but it requires regular maintenance. If you make a habit of a few mandatory rules and follow them after each use of the device, then the smell and other troubles in operation will not bother you.