Sometimes, when you open a closet with clothes, you can feel an unpleasant smell of mustiness and dampness. Sometimes the aroma is sour or similar to wet straw. Soon, not only the space inside the chest of drawers begins to smell, but also the entire wardrobe, especially things that are stored for a long time. There are reasons for all this, which we will consider below. We will also determine how to get rid of the smell in the closet with clothes and restore the freshness of your things.
Why does the closet “smell”
Let’s figure out what factors affect the appearance of an unpleasant odor:
- Dampness and high humidity in the apartment. As a result, fungus and mold appear, emitting a characteristic smell. The solution to the problem is to treat the cabinet from mold , dry the furniture and the room. Rewash all clothes affected by the fungus at a high temperature (at least 50 °C) with the addition of vinegar. Do not store wet things in the closet!
- Dirty things. Long-term storage of clothes that have been worn at least once in the closet leads to the appearance of an unpleasant smell. Even after one sock, things will smell of your sweat, perfume, deodorant. The initially imperceptible aroma will become more saturated after the clothes lie in a closed closet, and will be transmitted to the entire microclimate of the storage space. The solution is to wash worn clothes on time.
- Long-term non-use of things. Any, even clean clothes must be periodically aired. This especially applies to sets of bed linen, outerwear and sweaters. To get rid of an unwanted smell, take warm things out of the closet in the summer and air them out, warm them up in the sun. In addition to weathering the smell, it will destroy dust mites and other insects that could settle in you. Store such items in vacuum packaging.
- Tobacco smoke. Everything is clear here: either quit smoking, or regularly ventilate the closet and use fragrances.
- Insects, particularly dust mites. The closet is an ideal place for them to live: warm and dark. They appear where they are rarely cleaned. That’s why it’s easy to get rid of dust mites – do wet cleaning more often. You can process things and a closet with steam.
The elimination of the unpleasant smell is carried out differently in each of the above-mentioned cases. Let’s consider all the tips in more detail.
- before cleaning the closet – remove all things from it;
- after processing the cabinet – keep it closed for a while;
- the last stage before loading clothes into the closet – spend a few days on airing and drying the shelves.
Rawness in the closet
Increased humidity and dampness in the apartment lead to the appearance of mold. Therefore, pay special attention to the shelves in the closet. Make sure they are dry and never put wet things on them. Products are stored in the cabinet, only dry! To eliminate mold and odor, use the following recommendations:
- Pour ordinary salt into small cups and place them in the corners of the cupboard. Salt has a useful quality – it will absorb moisture and odors. After some time, when the salt hardens, replace it with a new loose portion.
- Soda, in the case of odors and moisture, works without fail, and you can use it in the same way as salt.
- If you are calm about the smell of vinegar, then dilute 2-3 spoons of the essence in 1 liter of warm water and carry out prevention of infected areas, ridding them of mold. After the vinegar aroma has dissipated and the shelves have dried, you can safely put the clothes back in the closet.
- Vinegar can be replaced with boric acid, bleach or hydrogen peroxide. They also kill mold spores just as well.
The smell of sweat and dirty socks
Go through things from time to time and do not put used clothes in clean clothes. Special attention should be paid to children’s and men’s things. If, among things, you find products with the smell of sweat or stains from coffee, wine, juices and other products, remove them immediately. Dirty and not fresh clothes are the source of unpleasant odors.
You can get rid of the stench as follows:
- rewash contaminated clothing.
- air clean things.
- put an aromatizer in the closet, which will refresh things and give them a pleasant aroma.
If there are no problems with moisture and dampness in the house, you can resort to the help of flavoring agents. You can buy them in any store, and you can also remember your grandmother’s recipes:
- Sachets of aromatic herbs. Take a canvas bag, and not just one, and put dried herbs and flowers in it at your discretion. Place these “herb” bags on the shelves, among things. You are guaranteed an incomparable aroma and a pleasant smell.
- Soap. Pieces of soap always remain after washing. Dry them. After that, wrap it in small pieces of cloth and spread it on the shelves.
- Dry tea bags. Add on the shelves. The bright aroma of black tea will kill and eliminate unpleasant odors.
- Coffee beans will add an exquisite aroma to your furniture and things. To do this, pour them into small containers or cups and place them on the shelves in the corner.
- Citrus absorbs odors perfectly. Don’t throw away the skin left over from a mandarin or orange. Dry it so that there is no moisture. Wrap it in a cotton cloth and place it in the closet.
- To eliminate the effects of caustic tobacco smoke, make a salt or vinegar solution and soak towels in it. Then hang them in the closet and let them hang there until completely dry. The smell of tobacco is absorbed into the dry towel, then it remains only to wash it thoroughly.
An unpleasant smell can appear as a result of the invasion of insects: dust mites.
Dust mites appear mainly due to accumulation of dust. They eat it. To prevent this from happening, organize wet cleaning and ventilation from time to time, not only in the closet, but also in the entire apartment.
Get rid of the dust mite with the help of the following actions:
- Wash the cabinet with a saline solution.
- Wipe all surfaces with a vinegar solution. Dilute vinegar 1 to 1.
- Go through the closet shelves and things with a steam generator.
If you do not follow the rules for storing things and taking care of furniture, the smell can remind you again. To eliminate the smell forever – find the cause of its occurrence and eliminate it.