Small bugs that have appeared in cereals or flour cause a lot of inconvenience. After discovering them, you won’t want to eat anything from home food. If you manage to remove the pests, there is no guarantee that they will not come again. However, with the right actions, you can protect yourself from them forever. Let’s figure out how to get rid of bugs in cereal.
Causes of appearance – where do beetles come from?
Sometimes it seems that the bugs simply have nowhere to go. But insects can appear in the kitchen for two simple reasons:
- Larvae came from the factory. Most often, the manufacturer, as well as the supervisory authorities, approach the issue of checking manufactured products in bad faith. For this reason, grain bugs with larvae spread in stores.
- Migration. If you bring home a package of cereal with parasites, then from there they can spread throughout the house, taking over other food packages.
It is for this reason that it is extremely important to detect the problem in a timely manner. This will help to kill parasites in products as quickly as possible. If it was possible to notice that a thin web has formed over the cereal, holes have appeared inside the grains, small dark excrement, worms or cocoons, and the food itself has begun to stick together, then urgent measures are needed – parasites appear.
Types of bugs
Unfortunately, parasites living in cereals can be of several types. They practically do not differ in the degree of harmfulness, but each of them prefers special conditions for life. Species:
- Flour beetle. It is also called Surinam flour. It has a red or red color. It prefers to live in wet or moldy cereals, and is also often found inside packages of flour. In a group, together with other individuals, they contaminate the food, making it more moist. They often come home in rice, semolina or pasta. They can eat breadcrumbs, nuts, cookies. Such flour and rice lovers are considered the most common.
- Flour crunch. Outwardly, it resembles another type of beetles that are safe for food – the shashile. It has a brown or reddish color, likes to settle in food, bread bins, as well as cozy parts of the kitchen, while it often spreads from the kitchen cabinet. It grows up to half a centimeter in length. Prefers to live in rice grains, wheat and rye flour, semolina, as well as in wheat.
- Grinder. Representatives have an oval head, grow up to 3 mm, are dark yellow or brown. They can enter the house by gnawing their way through the floor, walls or window frames. They settle in pasta, cereals, nuts, cookies or dried fruits.
- Food moth . This insect does not belong to beetles, but it also often appears inside cereal packages. It most often settles in buckwheat, but its appearance in other cereals is not excluded.
- Barn weevil. Adults are black in color and up to 6 mm long. They cannot fly, but reproduce extremely quickly. They are distinguished by a long nose-proboscis. They settle with any cereal. Females lay eggs inside the seeds, where insects feed and grow. Therefore, people see them only as adult beetles.
- Grain Midges of this bug are dangerous only for beans. They prefer high humidity and average air temperature. Females can lay a large number of eggs in a short time.
If you encounter transparent bugs, you should also act immediately. As a rule, developing individuals that were just born and did not have time to grow up do not have color. Dealing with them will be a little easier.
What are dangerous bugs
After people notice uninvited guests, most of them immediately start wondering if it is possible to eat this food. Some, of course, will not be able to do this psychologically, since they saw a huge accumulation of parasites. However, there are also those who do not mind washing, sifting and cooking groats. You can’t do this. Even when it was possible to get rid of the bugs.
The reason for this is the danger to the human body. It consists in the waste of life activities of larvae and adults, as well as a sharp decrease in the nutritional value of the product. If parasites were found in pearl barley, it should not be boiled and eaten. This will lead to severe poisoning and an allergic reaction.
The biggest danger is parasites that live in semolina and flour. Their excrement is difficult to distinguish from product grains. At the same time, there is a high probability that there is mold in the grains, which will increase the negative impact on the body.
With regular consumption of such food, a number of problems will appear. Signs that a person eats food with flour parasites are:
- Deterioration of immunity;
- Increased fatigue, drowsiness;
- Apathy, depression;
- Headaches, spasms of internal organs.
If such symptoms appear, it means that the food contains worms or adults. The person needs to see a doctor immediately.
What to do if bugs appeared?
If bugs have appeared inside cereal packages, you need to take the necessary measures to get rid of them as quickly as possible. For this, you will need to perform several procedures. It is important to take into account that it is not so easy to get rid of any bugs in cereals. The following steps should be followed:
- Carefully inspect all corners in the closet where pests were found. It is necessary to go through each package with grain. If parasites were found in oatmeal, then it is necessary to check not only them, but also rice, pasta, buckwheat, etc. It is necessary to look even inside the package. Many pests of household supplies prefer to live at the bottom. All packages where parasites are found should be thrown away immediately. Especially if insects appeared in the flour. Cereals can still be sifted, but it is impossible to find bugs among the flour.
- Treat food where no insects have been found. To do this, you first need to wash it under a strong pressure of water, then sift it through a sieve. The fight against possible larvae will continue thermally: you need to heat the cereal for about an hour at 50 °C inside the oven or in a pan, and then freeze it in the freezer for 4 days. If it seems that black or red bugs are also present in this food, then it should be thrown away.
- Do lockers. To accurately remove insects, you need to treat all kitchen cabinets. The best option would be a vacuum cleaner. You should clean all the crevices, then throw everything out of the bag and freeze it empty for 4 days to kill any larvae. After that, it is recommended to spread the paper on the cabinets, and put cloves of garlic, lavender or bay leaf on it – this is necessary so that the bugs do not start again.
- Wash the dishes. Everything with which the infected cereal came into contact must be washed. A folk remedy is suitable, which is vinegar diluted with water. You should also wash the lockers themselves. It is recommended to freeze dishes for 4 days before washing.
- Make a bait. An effective way to remove the remaining bugs. They can be present for a long time in small, imperceptible amounts in oatmeal, rice or other cereals. So that they do not part with new products, you need to make a bait of borax, semolina and powdered sugar (1: 1: 1), spread it on paper in the apartment on the cabinets.
It is very important to react to the problem as quickly as possible. It will be much more difficult to fight if the parasites have time to multiply.
In order not to think about how to get rid of parasites in Hercules or other cereals, you need to take preventive measures. It is much more efficient. It is quite simple to ventilate the room, do cleaning, use closed iron cans to store cereals, and also carefully check whether there are no small bugs inside the package before buying. If you show special care, the risk of pests will be minimal.