The quality of bedding (pillows, blankets, mattresses) is of great importance for a good and comfortable sleep. They must be carefully looked after and kept clean. This will extend their service life and preserve their useful properties. Special attention should be paid to the mattress. Stains and an unpleasant smell on it are difficult to remove. Especially if they are from urine. Let’s consider ways to clean the mattress from urine properly.
After the appearance of a child or an animal in the house, you need to think about how to avoid stains on the mattress. It will help if you put a mattress pad that does not allow moisture to pass through. But its efficiency is not 100%, and it cannot absorb moisture constantly. In such a situation, it is necessary to remove stains by all existing methods.
By mattress type
It is possible to get rid of stains on the mattress at home. Before you start cleaning, you need to find out what the mattress is made of. It can be:
- Coconut. It is easier to get rid of stains on a coconut mattress than on others. It can be wrapped with a wet cloth and knocked out. It is also possible to wash with a brush or sponge.
- springy It is much more difficult to clean a spring block mattress. Wetting it is contraindicated, it will spoil it. If the springs get wet, then they will start to rust and creak.
- Polyurethane foam. It should be cleaned with water and improvised means with care. Wet or dry cleaning is recommended.
Cleaning mattresses from children’s urine
If the child peed, there are several ways to remove stains from the child’s urine.
- The best folk remedy against all stains is laundry soap. To begin with, you need to slightly wet the mattress with a brush, soap it up, give time for the soap to absorb well and destroy the stain. After 10 minutes, wipe with clean water and a brush, absorb moisture with a paper towel.
- The second method is powder. With its help, you can wash away any stains with the same ease. If the powder does not cope with such a task, you can use any stain remover.
- Another way to remove dry spots is borax. The contaminated area should be wetted with water and sprinkled with borax. Then you need to rub it on the stain so that it penetrates under the upper fabric. It is better to wear rubber gloves so as not to damage the skin. After complete drying, vacuum the place where the cleaning was carried out.
- You can also wash the stains with vinegar or alcohol. If the stain has not yet dried, it is necessary to soak the urine with a cloth. Next, wet the rag with vinegar. It is in the house of every housewife. Or you can wipe with alcohol, if it is available.
Cleaning the mattress from animal urine
You can get rid of pet urine by using the above methods for removing baby urine. They are not always effective. It is a little more difficult to remove the urine trace of an animal. Especially if it is not fresh. But there is one effective method that will remove any stains.
To prepare a means for the destruction of mattress pollution, you will need:
- hydrogen peroxide;
- paper napkins;
- dishwashing liquid;
- spray bottle.
First, soak the urine with napkins if the stain is fresh. If it has already dried, it should be wiped with a damp sponge. And then proceed to action.
- Dilute vinegar with water in a ratio of 1/3. Apply it to the contaminated area and wait until it dries completely.
- Then sprinkle evenly with soda. You can go a little beyond the limits and pour around the stain for greater efficiency.
- Pour 100 ml of hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle, add a teaspoon of dishwashing liquid and boiled, cooled water (up to 100 ml). Mix so that approximately 200 ml is obtained.
- Shake the prepared product and sprinkle it on the pre-treated surface with soda. A chemical reaction will occur and the hissing will begin, within 2 hours.
- Then it remains to remove the remains with paper napkins or vacuum and ventilate the room.
How to remove the smell of urine from a mattress
Not always, after removing urine stains from the mattress, the smell disappears. Especially if the mattress is old and fluffy. Soda and ammonia are the best in the fight against unpleasant odors.
To destroy the smell with soda, you should apply it to the place where it is formed and leave it for a day. It should be done in gloves. Soda can be wet if desired, it will give more effect, but it is more difficult to wipe it off. After 24 hours, wipe with a cloth and vacuum the treated area. If the smell has not disappeared, repeat the procedure.
You can make an ammonia solution to remove the smell yourself. For this you will need:
- Hydrogen peroxide (100 ml);
- Denatured alcohol (100 ml);
- Water (400 ml).
These components are mixed in an unnecessary vessel. Next, the solution is applied with a rag to the source of the unpleasant smell. The solution should be given up to 10 minutes for action. After that, wash the place with water and take it outside, under the sun, for quick drying. You can also use a fan, but without heating, if it is not possible to transfer it to the street.