When combing hair, particles of skin fat, residues of varnish, gel and other hair products, as well as dust, settle on any comb. A dirty comb causes dandruff, accelerates the process of contamination of the head, and can become a source of spread of various infections. Therefore, it must be kept clean, but because of the teeth it is not always easy to do this. Not every cleaning agent will work. Let’s analyze how to clean the comb from hair and dirt quickly and easily.
Cleaning according to the rules
It is important to clean the comb once or twice a week. If you have a lot of hair loss or have dandruff (or other skin or hair diseases), then cleaning is done daily. Procedure (suitable for plastic and metal):
- Remove the hair stuck in the teeth. For cleaning, you can use a toothpick, knitting needle, scissors or another object with a sharp end.
- Wipe the pen with alcohol, vodka or another alcohol-containing solution.
- Fill the comb with hot water. Fill the container with hot water, add ammonia and soap, you can shampoo. Keep in the container for 20 minutes.
- Clean a heavily dirty comb with baking soda using a toothbrush.
- Rinse with running water.
- Dry well, you can use a hair dryer.
Important ! A comb made of wood cannot be soaked in order not to spoil it. It is better to make a soap solution, as in point 3, and clean the surface with this composition using a cotton swab.
Depending on the type of material from which the comb is made, the method of cleaning also differs. Let’s consider these points in more detail.
It is easiest to clean plastic products. They are not afraid of water, you can use almost any cleaning products (with the exception of solvents). Basically, it is recommended to make solutions for soaking:
- Prepare a soap solution from water and liquid soap or shampoo that you use.
- Pour 1 tbsp into a glass of hot water. l. baking soda Dissolve soda thoroughly before use, otherwise undissolved grains will clog the comb and it will be difficult to wash them.
- Mix 1 glass of hot water with 1 tbsp. l. tooth powder.
Soak the comb for 30 minutes in any of the listed solutions. Rinse, dry. It is important that there is no moisture left inside, otherwise it will stagnate, after the first combing it will mix with hair and skin fat, an unpleasant smell will appear. Such a comb can only be thrown away.
If the plastic comb has not been cleaned for a long time, and heavy contamination has appeared on it, then more serious formulations are used:
- Dissolve 1 tbsp in a liter of hot water. l. shampoo and add 1 tbsp. l. ammoniacal alcohol. Nasathyr is a universal tool for removing any stains and dirt, and also perfectly disinfects surfaces. Soak in the solution for half an hour, go over all corners of the accessory with a clean toothbrush. It is important to rinse thoroughly and dry.
- Pour 1 cup of vinegar into 3 cups of water. Excellent antiseptic. Soak for 20 minutes. Important ! If there is a pattern on the comb or poorly glued parts, then they may fall off or rub off due to contact with vinegar.
- The best disinfection is the use of chlorine-containing products, for example, laundry. Prepare an aqueous solution in a ratio of 1 to 10. Soak for an hour. Perfectly destroys all microbes, fungi, mold. But sometimes it’s easier to buy a new comb than mess with bleach.
Soaking wood like plastic is prohibited. Such a comb is simply damaged beyond repair.
Caring for a wooden comb as follows:
- Remove all hairs and large dirt.
- Choose a cleaning and disinfecting agent. It can be: alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, chlorhexidine, any alcohol-containing substances (vodka, cologne, etc.). It is important that the selected product does not contain dyes, otherwise they will settle on the wood.
- Clean with a cotton swab, wiping the handle and each tooth. In addition, use a toothpick, skewer or matches to clean the spaces between the teeth and depressions.
- If necessary, wipe with a dry tissue to remove alcohol residues.
- It can be used half an hour after processing.
Metal accessories are often made for styling, they have a cylindrical shape, and the teeth can be located very close to each other, which makes cleaning difficult. Before processing, it is important to clean the comb from stuck hair. You can do this with a comb – just comb your comb. Only after removing the hair, you can start removing the dirt.
A metal comb can be cleaned by soaking, as in the case of a plastic one. However, the metal cannot be kept in water for a long time, so reduce the processing time to 5-10 minutes, then carefully brush the surface with a toothbrush and dry the product.
In order not to risk encountering rust, we recommend other methods of cleaning and disinfection:
- Toothbrush and soda. Wet the brush, dip it in soda so that it sticks to the bristles, walk over the surface of the comb, removing all the dirt.
- Use alcohol or chlorhexidine. Clean the comb with a cotton swab dipped in the selected product, then dry it.
With natural bristles
Natural bristles require constant care comparable to your own hair. Everything here is banal – wash the comb, just like your hair.
- Comb the bristles of the hair with a comb every day, knock out the dirt.
- Once or twice a week, wash the comb with your shampoo. Apply shampoo to the bristles, distribute, lather. Do this carefully so as not to break or bend the hairs. Leave the soapy brush for 5-10 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly, dry.
Combs used in hair care can have various shapes: round, oval, flat. Each of these combs requires a specific cleaning method.
- Thin round comb. To get rid of hair, you need to carefully cut it with manicure scissors. Use a toothpick to remove the remaining hair. Mix 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia in a liter of water. Add 30 ml of shampoo. Keep the accessory in this composition for 1 hour. Then clean with soda using a toothbrush. Rinse with water and dry.
- Comb for massage. Using a flat comb, remove dirt and all hairs from the massage brush. Mix 60 ml of shampoo and 90 ml of table vinegar in hot water. Immerse the accessory in the resulting solution for a few minutes. Rinse and dry.
- Brushing. Remove hair and dirt with a toothpick. Pour hydrogen peroxide, liquid soap and alcohol into warm water. Keep the comb in this solution for an hour. Then rinse thoroughly and dry well.
Pay attention! You can add a little essential oil to each cleaning composition, which will add freshness and a pleasant aroma to the comb.
A dirty and unkempt comb is a source of accumulation of disease-causing bacteria and microbes. With its help, lice and nits can be transmitted from person to person. In order for the comb to be perfectly clean, it should be periodically treated in one of the following ways:
- disinfect with chlorine;
- wipe the teeth with a napkin with alcohol;
- keep in a concentrated soapy solution for up to 3 hours;
- boil for 3 hours.
The following tools are used to disinfect the comb:
- mix 9 parts of water with 1 part of chlorine, process for 1 hour;
- Add 1 tbsp to 1 liter of water. l. ammonia, process for 10 minutes.
Importantly! The comb used to comb out parasites should be disinfected after each procedure.
Pay attention! If one of the family members is infected with lice, all combs in the family should be carefully processed and disinfected.
Rules of care
The comb must be perfectly clean. For this, it is recommended:
- clean hair after use;
- wash often with a soapy solution;
- periodically wipe with a napkin with a disinfectant solution;
- do not forget that the comb is an object of personal hygiene;
- change hair accessories annually;
- a comb intended for carrying in a woman’s bag or in a pocket should be stored in a special case;
- use a dry comb.
Every person wants his hair to look well-groomed and his hairstyle to be beautiful. This requires little: maintain the cleanliness of your personal hygiene item – the comb, properly care for it and wash it.