To date, one of the most annoying problems that housewives periodically face is the formation of blockages in sewer pipes. Such problems most often arise as a result of disregarding the rules for operating plumbing equipment. After reading this article, you will learn how to clear blockages in the pipe at home using the most common modern methods that will help you get rid of the problem in the shortest possible time.
Today, the best method that can clean a clogged water pipe is considered to be the use of a plunger. This inventory should be in every apartment, as it is very easy to use.
- Before using the plunger to clean the pipes, you need to remove all the debris that is in the drain hole.
- Then pour about 2-3 liters of boiling water. Do not forget, hot water is needed to dissolve fat particles that have accumulated in the pipe. Thanks to this influence, it will be much easier for you to deal with the dirt plug mechanically.
- In order to achieve maximum efficiency, the rubber part of the plunger should be accurately applied to the drain hole, then press down hard and lift sharply up. It is better to repeat this procedure several times in a row to loosen the connection between the cork and the pipe walls.
- In the future, the blockage will be quickly washed away with water.
Another effective option that will help clear blockages in your pipes is the use of a plumber’s rope. Such inventory can be purchased at any plumbing store. This tool is a steel rod with a diameter of 3-4 mm.
- To start using this tool, you first need to remove the sink siphon.
- If there is no special handle on such a cable, then its upper part should be bent in the form of a ring, which will be convenient for you to hold with your hand.
- Lower the other end of the cable into the pipe and begin gradual circular movements, pushing the cable deeper and deeper.
- The cable should be removed periodically to remove debris and repeat the procedure.
- Once you have cleaned all the dirt, you need to put the sink trap in place and flush the system with hot water.
Use of soda
Modern housewives are more likely to use folk remedies for cleaning pipes. And since soda has been considered an excellent helper against fat since ancient times. Therefore, it is appropriate to use this method to clean the pipe from blockages.
If you are sure that the problem is in the siphon itself, but you have no desire to dismantle it, then you can simply pour soda into the drain and then pour boiling water over it. Try to pour boiling water as slowly as possible, since in this situation it will, together with soda, slowly eat away the plug of fat particles that appeared in the siphon. But, keep in mind that you will not be able to pour soda too deeply.
It is appropriate to use this method only for those blockages that are not far from the drain. In that case, if the blockage is further away, it is better to make an aqueous solution of soda.
Soda and vinegar
It has long been known that if you pour a little vinegar into soda, a violent chemical reaction will immediately begin, which is accompanied by the release of a large amount of foam. The substances that are formed in the process of such a reaction are neutral in their structure, but the blockage will be destroyed under the influence of foam formation. That is why this method can be used to clean dirty pipes.
- For this procedure, you will need to pour approximately 10-12 spoons of soda into the pipe, and then gradually pour a glass of vinegar.
- As soon as the soda reacts with the vinegar, you will notice how a lot of foam will begin to stand out, try to cover the hole in the pipe with something so that the foam does not pour out.
- After a few minutes, such a violent reaction will stop, and you will need to pour a glass of vinegar again.
- This procedure should be repeated until you notice the foaming has stopped.
- After fifteen minutes, you will need to pour about a kettle of hot water down the drain. In the event that the water does not drain very well (without the formation of a funnel), you can repeat the procedure again after a while.
Do not worry, sooner or later this tool will fully justify itself.
Chemical means for cleaning pipes
Before using chemical substances to eliminate clogging in pipes, you should know that such means carry certain dangers for pipes, sinks and plumbing equipment itself. The fact is that when certain substances are used, chemical reactions are accompanied by the release of a large amount of heat.
There are several factors you should consider before purchasing pipe cleaning chemicals.
- First, what material is your water pipe made of? This is very important, as some powerful products can damage your pipes and end up with even more problems. In this case, it is better to consult with the seller before buying.
- Second, what kind of pollution you will have to deal with. To quickly get rid of such a problem, you need to know exactly what to fight, only in this case you can completely clean the blockage.
A simple lemon will help to remove blockages in the pipes in the kitchen at home. To use this method, you will need:
- Squeeze the juice from several lemons, and then pour it into the drain hole.
- After an hour, fill the sink with hot water.
Instead of fresh lemons, concentrated lemon juice, which is sold on the shelves of any grocery store, is quite suitable.
How to prevent the formation of blockages in pipes
If you want your kitchen pipes to never get clogged, then you will need to follow a few simple rules to prevent such a nuisance.
- Do not forget that kitchen equipment requires careful treatment. In this case, we are talking about the fact that you cannot pour liquid with cooking fat into the kitchen sink.
- Before washing the dishes, you must remove all food residues on them. In order for the drain in your pipe to be clogged as little as possible, buy a special net on the market that will protect large particles of food from getting into the pipe.
- Many experts strongly recommend, for the purpose of prevention, to clean the sink every day with a plunger or fill it with boiling water.
If you follow all the preventive recommendations listed above, you will never face the problem of clogging in the pipes.
In conclusion, I would like to say that clogging in pipes is an everyday phenomenon. Knowing how to clean the drain in the kitchen, there is no point in being afraid of blockages.