In the last few years, laundry balls have gained particular popularity. They enhance the effect of the powder, eliminate coils and preserve the quality of the fabric. Before buying such devices, you should familiarize yourself with their range and methods of use. After all, in the store you can see different types of this device, which differ in appearance and material. Let’s figure out what laundry balls are for and how to use them.
Balls make washing easier and help prolong the life of things. The initial task of such devices is an additional mechanical effect on the fabric during processing, thanks to which dirt is better removed, and the material retains its quality longer. In addition, laundry balls:
- can fully replace the detergent;
- they break the down in jackets and down jackets;
- contribute to better polishing of the powder;
- help to remove pollution;
- remove coils on knitted and crocheted clothes;
- soften the fabric, due to which there is no need to use a laundry conditioner;
- completely hypoallergenic, which is extremely important for people prone to allergies.
Using balls for washing clothes will save powder, fabric conditioner, water and electricity.
What things and materials are used for
To understand which balls are suitable for you, determine the purpose of their use, since they are of different types, some of which, in turn, are suitable for processing certain products.
- Tourmaline. For clothing that comes into contact with the skin: underwear, T-shirts, T-shirts, blouses. Do not use for washing silk and wool.
- Pimples For down jackets, jackets, blankets and pillows.
- Magnetic For everyday clothes from any materials. They do not cope with cleaning jackets, down jackets, blankets.
- Anti-Katishkovi. For woolen, piled and knitted clothes.
If you use the balls correctly and wash only with suitable products, they will last as long as possible.
Types of washing balls and their principle of action
In the assortment of washing balls you will find several of their varieties. Each type has a special structure and a unique principle of action.
Plastic and rubber
They have a spiked surface. Due to the bubbly surface, the washing efficiency increases significantly. They are mainly used for processing down jackets, jackets, blankets. In the process of washing, they break down the inner layers of down, preventing it from crumpling.
Hedgehog balls cannot fully replace detergent, but perform only mechanical additional actions in the drum.
Smooth balls made of PVC materials. They are intended for processing delicate fabrics.
They are a plastic ball with a small magnetic layer inside. They have a maximum service life of 20 years.
In addition to the main mechanical function, they soften water by demagnetizing it. If you will use such balls, you can abandon the conditioner, as the clothes will still be soft and pleasant to the touch after washing.
In appearance, tourmaline balls resemble a children’s rattle. Inside the plastic base are small granules of tourmaline, which includes more than 80 minerals. When in contact with water, the granules release alkali, which in the process foams and removes dirt from things.
When using tourmaline, the need to use washing powders and gels disappears. In addition, the minerals included in the composition soften and disinfect water. This feature allows not only to improve the quality of washing, but also protects the washing machine from damage.
Tourmaline balls are relatively expensive, but their service life, which is equal to 3 years, fully repays this cost.
When using tourmaline balls, follow these recommendations:
- when washing by hand, first soak the products in water;
- when washing in the machine, you do not need to pre-soak things;
- before the first use, saturate the internal contents of the device with positive ions, holding it in the sun for at least 30 minutes;
- the washing temperature should not exceed 50 degrees;
- allow the balls to dry completely after use.
Tourmaline balls are hypoallergenic, so they can be used for washing children’s clothes or clothes for people with allergies.
They resemble balls from the children’s game “Darts”. The plastic base is covered with ribbons with loops to which pile, wool and threads stick. During the washing process, the ball slides over the surface, thereby removing the coils.
In addition, the balls have a beneficial effect on the operation of the washing machine, as they collect lint and debris in the drum during its operation.
Such balls also cope well with animal fur on clothes.
With ceramic granules
You can find balls with ceramic granules on sale. They are similar to tourmaline balls in their external structure, only inside such a device are not tourmaline granules, but ceramic ones. The manufacturer recommends not using powder, as the granules are made of natural raw materials, which create negative ions when interacting with water.
You can use them no more than 500 times. Before washing, soak the ball for 15 minutes, and then be sure to dry it.
Woolen balls for drying clothes
Special balls for drying are made of sheep’s wool. They are used in washing machines with a drying function. They help:
- reduce the moisture level in products by 25%;
- make laundry softer without using conditioner;
- reduce the risk of coils;
- prevent the filler from rolling down in down jackets and jackets during drying.
One mutton ball is designed for 1000 dry fruits. Just put it in the drum before the drying cycle and dry it thoroughly afterwards. If desired, before the procedure, you can add a few drops of essential oil directly to the ball, and then the laundry will emit a light unobtrusive aroma after drying.
Which is better to choose
To understand exactly which balls you need, determine how and for what you will use them. Example:
- Tourmaline and magnetic balls are suitable for washing almost any clothes.
- Silicone ones are suitable for processing delicate fabrics.
- Balls with PVC spikes will be needed for washing jackets and down jackets.
- Anti-spinning balls do an excellent job of processing woolen and knitted products.
- With ceramic granules, they are suitable for everyday clothes without visible stains.
Correct use of laundry balls will help keep clothes in their proper shape for longer.
How to use laundry balls
Regardless of the type of balls and their manufacturer, the recommendations for their use are approximately the same. You simply put the required number of balls in the drum of the washing machine, and after washing, take them out and dry them.
To determine how many balls to put in one wash, you need to know the size of the washing machine drum and the degree of its loading, as well as take into account the purpose of the balls.
|Variety||Load level||Required quantity|
|Pimples||full download||2-3 pcs.|
|Magnetic||Up to 6 kg||6-12 pcs.|
|full download||12 pcs.|
|delicate fabrics||6 pcs.|
|Tourmaline||Up to 5 kg||1 pc.|
|full download||2 pcs.|
|Anti-Katishkovi||full download||2 pcs.|
|Tennis balls||full download||4-8 pcs.|
|With ceramic granules||Up to 5 kg.||1 pc.|
|full download||2-3 pcs.|
|For drying||Up to 5 kg||1 pc.|
|full download||2 pcs.|
Most often, balls are sold in sets of 2, 6 or 12 pieces.
For washing down jackets and down products
Balls with bubbles are best suited for washing jackets, down jackets and other products with natural or synthetic fillers. They will create additional mechanical actions when the drum rotates, as a result of which the filler will not be crushed.
Since such devices are made of painted plastic, before use, check whether they will not stain the products. To do this, fill the balls with hot water and let them stand for at least 30 minutes. If the water has not changed color, then you can safely use them. For one down jacket or blanket, it will be enough to place from 2 to 6 balls in the drum, depending on the dimensions of the product.
For washing a bra
For washing bras, special ball-containers have been created, consisting of two spheres: inner and outer. Such devices help protect bra details from mechanical damage during automatic washing. After that, the straps do not twist, the hooks and accessories do not break, and the cups remain in their original shape.
For washing sneakers
If you wash your sneakers in a washing machine, you can use tourmaline, magnetic or plastic balls to enhance the effect of the detergent. They will help to eliminate complex contamination and prevent the internal seals of the tongue and backs from crumpling.
Advantages and disadvantages
In the process of use, many housewives noted that thanks to the balls:
- down in jackets does not stray;
- impurities are removed better;
- curls disappear;
- powder and conditioner will heal better;
- detergents, electricity and water are saved.
Despite this, such devices have disadvantages, namely:
- make a loud sound during washing because they hit the drum;
- suitable for washing in water with a temperature index not higher than 60 degrees;
- cheap balls can sag and ruin clothes.
How to replace laundry balls
Tennis balls will be a classic replacement for special washing balls. Of course, they will not give the same effect, but they will cope with the task of breaking the down when washing the down jacket with a bang. Add 3-4 tennis balls to the drum when washing and the fluff will not clump.
If you don’t have tennis balls at hand, you can replace them:
- silicone balls from toys of a child or a domestic cat;
- a ball of thread, having previously put it in a sock;
- foil balls.
Laundry balls will become real helpers for many housewives. They will save the materials of the products from premature deterioration and save the family budget. Some of their types will help break down the filler in jackets and down jackets during washing, eliminate coils and even become a full-fledged alternative to washing powder.