Plastic has long become one of the most popular materials for the manufacture of various things. It is found in toys, electronics, household appliances, cars and interior items. But over time, any white plastic products begin to acquire yellow shades. The reason for this is exposure to sunlight, sudden changes in temperature, improper care and natural reactions with oxygen. In such situations, you can try ways to whiten yellowed plastic to return it to its former beauty.
Features of window whitening
The windows deserve special attention. Plastic constructions, which are used in conjunction with glass, very often turn yellow under the influence of ultraviolet rays emitted by the sun. Bright rays can illuminate them all day. If this happens regularly for several years, then the appearance of a yellow tint is inevitable. Additional factors are sudden temperature changes and improper operation.
The composition of the plastic used for window elements includes various substances capable of extending its service life. Therefore, window sills should be cleaned with care. You cannot use:
- Dishwashing detergents;
- Hard sponges;
- Abrasive powders;
- Acetone and similar means;
- Alkaline substances;
- Hot water.
All other means of getting rid of yellow spots can be used without fear.
White plastic objects can be returned to their original form with the help of special tools designed to restore plastic in cars. You can buy them in car workshops and parts stores.
How to use:
- Apply to the problem area, following the instructions.
- Wait for drying.
Be sure to read the instructions before use.
Napkins for cleaning plastic
Electronics stores sell special wipes. They include various substances that are able to clean computer equipment from contamination without any harm. They also help with yellowing.
How to clean:
- Every 6 hours, wipe the yellow mark with a napkin.
- Repeat daily for several days until the yellowness completely disappears.
This option is ideal for household appliances and plastic windowsills.
How to whiten with improvised means
It is not so difficult to return the former appearance of plastic products. You can do it at home without outside help. It is only necessary to stock up on all the necessary means that will be used to achieve the goal. There are several cleaning methods.
A simple but very effective tool. Household soap will help renew the old plastic, giving it a white shade again. This method shows maximum effectiveness when the color changes are caused by the influence of fatty deposits.
How to act:
- Grate laundry soap (½ bar).
- Pour warm water (150 ml), mix.
- Apply the finished solution to the problem area. Wait 30 minutes.
- Wipe with a clean sponge, wash off the soapy traces with clean water.
You can use this method in any case, as the soap is harmless.
Tooth powder with chalk
Such an unusual mixture allows you to return the white color of things, if shades of yellowness appeared very recently. You can try it for old stains, but it is unlikely to achieve significant results.
What has to be done:
- Mix a small amount of chalk and tooth powder.
- Add water to make a thick paste.
- Distribute over the entire surface of the plastic, wait for it to dry.
- Remove the remaining powder with a dry cloth.
The procedure can be repeated many times.
Soda and washing powder
Baking soda is very often used to clean various things from dirty stains. It also copes well with yellowness.
How to use it:
- Mix soda (1 tablespoon), washing powder (1 tablespoon) and water (500 ml).
- Apply the liquid to the plastic object. Wait 8 hours.
- Wash off all traces with a damp cloth.
An excellent option for cleaning windowsills.
Acetic acid is an equally effective way to restore the whiteness of plastic products. For this you will need its 70% solution.
- Soak a soft cloth or a large cotton pad in vinegar.
- Wipe the plastic.
- Wash the surface of the object with water.
When using acid, you should wear rubber gloves and ventilate the room. It is also not recommended to use a means to get rid of yellowness on sensitive plastic.
Citric acid with chlorine
A powerful agent for bleaching yellowness, which can be used for thin plastic products, without fearing for their integrity.
How to use:
- Mix the same amount of citric acid and chlorine.
- Apply to stains. Wait 30 minutes.
- Remove the remains of the product.
This mixture can be used repeatedly until it is possible to return the yellowed plastic to its usual appearance.
This medicine is very popular and is present in every medicine cabinet. It helps not only to disinfect wounds, but also to tidy up the surface of yellowed plastic.
- Wet a soft sponge with peroxide.
- Wipe the yellow spots repeatedly.
- Wash off the remains of peroxide.
The tool does not harm plastic. Therefore, its long-term and repeated use is allowed until the desired result is obtained.
Alcohol has gained great popularity in cleaning from pollution. It destroys the composition of any dirt, making things clean again. No less effectively, it helps whiten heavily yellowed plastic. Its composition not only removes yellowness, but literally destroys the structure of the upper layers of the object. Therefore, it should be used with caution.
How alcohol is used:
- Soak a rag in it.
- Wipe the yellow parts of the surface.
- Remove all traces of alcohol with clean water.
This method is suitable for coarse, dense plastic on household appliances and various appliances.
Another very aggressive solvent that can not only lighten plastic, but also damage it. Before use, it is recommended to apply a small amount of acetone to an inconspicuous area of the item to test the reaction. If everything is in order, then it can be used. However, caution will still not be superfluous.
- Wet a dense cotton pad with acetone.
- Wipe the plastic.
- Wipe off traces of the product with a damp cloth.
Instead of acetone, you can use nail polish remover. Its composition is not so harmful to the coating, but shows less efficiency.
Option for small items. It is necessary to completely soak the thing in chlorine.
How to do it:
- Dilute chlorine or bleach (1 tablespoon) in water (1 liter), adding a little soda (1 tablespoon).
- Place the item to be restored in a container with liquid. Leave for the night.
- Remove and thoroughly rinse the object under cool water.
In case of very strong yellowing, soaking in pure bleach without diluting it with water is allowed.
The listed methods should be enough to deal with the problem and get your white plastic back. If the yellowness turns out to be very outdated and does not respond to any means, then it can simply be carefully smeared with paint that matches the shade as much as possible, or the entire product can be painted completely. This will hide all problem areas.