The assortment of household chemicals for washing includes not only powders and cleaning agents, but also special rinsing agents – conditioners and rinses. They give things a pleasant aroma, make the fabric more pleasant to the touch, and also protect against frequent contamination and provide an antistatic effect. You can buy this tool in a household chemical store or make it yourself from vinegar, salt or soda. In the article, we will analyze how to use a laundry conditioner at home and how to make it from improvised means. In addition, we will consider the features of compartments for air conditioners in different models of washing machines.
Why do you need a fabric conditioner?
Housewives’ opinions about laundry conditioners are very ambiguous. Someone believes that the drugs are filled with harmful chemical components and do not use them. Others, on the contrary, like the pleasant aroma and quality of the material after washing with fabric softener.
As you know, the laundry washing cycle in an automatic machine includes 4 stages: pre-washing (soaking), main washing, rinsing, spinning. For rinsing, you can use a special rinse aid – a conditioner. There is a special compartment in the machine for this. The substance saturates linen with a pleasant aroma, makes the fabric softer and pleasant to the touch.
Every third housewife notes that after using the rinse aid, things accumulate less static electricity and get dirty more slowly. The product is usually used for washing bed and underwear, towels, woolen and synthetic products.
Description of laundry rinses
To understand whether you really need a washing conditioner before use, analyze the advantages and disadvantages of the products and study their composition.
- linen becomes softer and more fragrant;
- the electrostatic effect decreases;
- ironing becomes easier;
- the color of the fabric does not fade;
- things get less dirty;
- coils appear less often on clothes.
- it is not recommended to use for washing children’s clothes;
- poorly tolerated by people suffering from allergies or respiratory diseases;
- the most low-budget products are stuffed with harmful chemicals that can cause dangerous diseases.
The composition of the air conditioner
The substance that is the basis of all conditioners presented on the market of household chemicals is able to create a special protective layer on the material. It is represented by cationic compounds that split and settle on tissue fibers. As a result, the material becomes softer and less dirty.
Rinse aid can also include:
- acetic acid ester;
- benzyl acetate;
Some listed chemical compounds belong to the 2nd class of danger and toxicity.
How to choose
If you are still undecided, think about why you need a fabric conditioner. Our theses will help you understand faster.
- If you are categorically against any “chemistry”, it is not necessary to use purchased rinse aid. You can prepare the remedy yourself from natural ingredients at hand (how? – you will learn later).
- When buying an air conditioner in a store, carefully study the composition. Do not buy products with dangerous chemical compounds. It is better to give preference to rinses with active biological components that can break down into simple substances under the influence of external factors.
- Conditioners are concentrated and non-concentrated. In the first option, the consumption of the product will be less, which means it will be used longer.
- Ease of use. When choosing, pay attention to the packaging. The presence of a dispenser cap or a watering can will be a nice bonus, as it will be easier to measure the required amount of product for one use.
By following simple selection rules, you will be able to buy a really good tool that will provide a high-quality result.
How to use conditioner when washing in a machine
You will find instructions for use on the packaging of any laundry conditioner. Here it will be clearly stated what and how to do, how much to use. However, not all housewives know the little tricks of using fabric softeners.
The correct use of the air conditioner includes the following nuances:
- Compliance with the correct dosage. If you pour too much detergent, the laundry will not be rinsed, if you pour too little, the proper effect will not be achieved.
- Type of air conditioner. Manufacturers update product lines and add special rinses for synthetics, wool or children’s items to the assortment. Use the selected rinse aid only as intended for the type of fabric.
- Substance concentration. Be sure to dilute concentrated conditioners with water in a ratio of 1:3, otherwise the substance will not wash out well from the fabric.
After use, do not forget to rinse the compartment for detergents, otherwise the tray will clog over time, and the cleaning agents will not enter the drum.
When to add conditioner when washing
In order not to leave stains and streaks on the clothes, it is strictly not recommended to pour the conditioner directly on the clothes, otherwise it will not wash well.
When machine washing, pour the rinse aid into the compartment intended for this purpose. At the same time, add the product only before starting the washing program.
How to pour rinse aid into a washing machine
It is easiest to pour the product into the tray together with the powder before starting the wash. If you forget to pour the substance into the tray, before the rinsing step, pause the procedure by pressing pause and pour the substance into the desired compartment.
Some older models of washing machines are not equipped with a rinse aid compartment. In such cases, add the rinse aid directly to the drum. For this:
- Set the washing program without rinsing.
- Buy a special separate container for air conditioner in advance.
- Pour the required amount of product into the container.
- Place the container in the drum.
- Turn on the rinse program.
In a similar way, you will be able to apply air conditioner without damaging the clothes.
Where is the compartment for the conditioner in the washing machine
In order for the conditioner to perform its functions, it is necessary to observe the appropriate dosage of the substance and pour the agent into the correct compartment of the washing machine. In most devices, the rinse aid tray is in a standard location. However, some models are equipped with non-standard compartments.
Modifications of trays in different models of washing machines
So that you don’t have any questions about where and how to pour it when using air conditioner, study the modifications of washing machines depending on the brand. Most often, one manufacturer equips different models of its devices with a similar modification of compartments.
- It is always indicated by the image of a flower or the number 3 (III) and is the smallest in size.
- Located in the bottom right corner of the detergent container.
- Models of machines with vertical loading. The compartment is located on the cover in the middle.
- Washing machines with vertical loading. The tray for the rinse aid is located on the right in the lid of the device.
- Located on the right side of the tray.
Classic arrangement of compartments
The classic modification of the washing machine tray includes 3 compartments:
- for pre-washing;
- for ordinary;
- for rinsing
Each of them has different symbolic designations on different models. It can be Latin letters, images, Arabic or Roman numerals.
The prewash compartment is usually represented by the letter A, the number 1 or I. Note that if you do not select the soak mode, the compartment does not need to be filled.
The capacity for standard washing is marked with the letter B, the number 2 or II. Most often, this is the largest tray in the compartment.
The container for the rinse aid can be marked with an image of a flower or a star, the letter C, the number 3 or III. Most often, this is a small capacity equipped with a lid. Sometimes the compartment can be completely removed or differ from others in color. Inside the tray, you will notice a small line that indicates the border of filling the conditioner.
Non-standard arrangement of compartments
Some models of washing machines are equipped with individual compartments for detergents. In such devices, the tray for the air conditioner has a non-standard location or an unusual shape.
Samsung – model: Eco Babble wf 602. It has a square shape and is located in the near right corner.
Electrolux – model: EWW51486HW. It is located on the right and is equipped with a special transparent lid with a hole for pouring.
Siemens (all models). The container for conditioner is located under the cover with the image of a flower.
Zanussi – model: ZWY. The model has 4 compartments for cleaning agents. The rinse aid tray is located on the right.
Indesit – model: wiun 105 (CIS). The tray is located on the right side of the compartment. It has a special lid with a hole for pouring the substance.
Bosch – model: WOT24455O. The conditioner compartment is located in the middle between the two powder compartments.
How to care for the rinse aid tray
So that the conditioner always gets into the drum during washing, properly care for the compartment for detergents. For this:
- Rinse the tray after each wash. If the substance is not completely washed out, its residues will eventually harden and make it difficult for the product to reach during the next wash.
- Clean the container with a brush.
- Once every 3 months, run the washing machine without laundry by pouring citric acid into the trays.
- Plaque on the walls of the compartment will help to remove soda with vinegar. Fill the tray with vinegar and sprinkle soda liberally on top. After 20-30 minutes, wash off the solution with water and, if necessary, rub heavily contaminated areas with a brush.
What to dilute if it has thickened
Some housewives do not pay attention to the fact that the conditioner has thickened, and still continue to add the product to the tray when washing. It is not recommended to do this, as the substance can clog the drains of the washing machine or leave stains and stains on the fabric.
Most often, the rinse aid thickens due to the expiration date. Also, a similar nuisance can happen if you do not use the product for a long time.
If the expiration dates are normal, and the softener has thickened, dilute the substance with water with each wash. If this did not help, the air conditioner will have to be thrown away.
How else can you use the conditioner
You can use conditioner not only for washing clothes. Such tools are excellent assistants in cleaning the apartment. With their help, you will be able to:
- wash the windows;
- clean furniture upholstery;
- remove wool from carpets;
- wash laminate or tiles;
- clean leather goods.
To wash floors and windows, dissolve 1 part conditioner in 4 parts water. To remove wool from carpet products, mix the rinse aid with water in equal proportions.
The tool is also able to “develop” a zipper-fastener on clothes. Simply apply a small amount of undiluted substance to the slider and zipper links.
How to remove air conditioner stains
Of course, it is better to prevent the appearance of stains from the conditioner than to unlock the tracks and joints. To do this, it is enough to follow the dosage, do not pour the product directly on the clothes and use the concentrated fabric softener only in a diluted form. If trouble still happened:
- Wet the stain with hot water (if the fabric is delicate, use the maximum allowable water temperature).
- Rub the stain with household soap without dyes and fragrances.
- Wash the item in the machine without rinse aid.
- Dry the item of clothing and, if the stain has not come off, repeat the procedure.
For oily stains, use a stain remover or a concentrated detergent.
Why does the laundry not smell after the air conditioner
In order for the laundry to have a pleasant aroma after washing, be sure to follow the rules for using the rinse aid. Violation of the dosage can lead to the absence of smell not only in the case of “underfilling”, but also in the case of an excess of the substance. If you pour more detergent than the permissible level, the washing machine will wash the conditioner before the last rinse cycle begins. As a result, the last rinse will take place without softener.
Also, things will not smell if the conditioner was poured into the wrong compartment. Therefore, carefully monitor where you pour the product.
What to replace laundry conditioner
If you don’t want to use store-bought products full of chemicals, you can use regular tennis balls to soften clothes. This method does not harm the washing machine, but softens the laundry perfectly due to the continuous movement of the balls on the drum. This is an ideal option for allergy sufferers and asthmatics.
How to make a laundry conditioner at home
It takes very little effort and time to make a homemade laundry conditioner. At the same time, you will not need to run to a specialized store. Almost all housewives have all the components. Vinegar, soda, borax or hair balm may be present in homemade conditioner recipes. These substances will cope with the task no worse than store-bought products.
Vinegar has long proven itself as a means that softens the fabric well and, in addition, helps to preserve the color saturation of the fibers. Undiluted vinegar is usually used for hand washing, but for a washing machine, it is better to prepare a liquid based on it, since the concentrated substance can have a detrimental effect on the parts of the machine.
- Recipe #1. You will need: table vinegar – 500 ml; soda – 500 g; warm water – 500 ml. Mix all the components in an enamel pot with a wooden spatula or spoon. Add 1 cup of detergent with each wash. Store the remains of the substance in a dark place. To give things a pleasant smell, you can add 2-3 drops of essential oil to the mixture.
- Recipe #2. You will need: vinegar essence – 300 ml; distilled water – 600 ml; hair balm – 200 ml. Mix the components and use the product with each wash. The recipe is the most popular and effective, according to housewives who have tried various homemade rinses.
- Recipe #3. You can use vinegar in its pure form, but such an application is more suitable for hand washing. Just add 2-3 drops of lavender oil or peppermint drops to 1 cup of vinegar. Use the product at the last stage of rinsing.
It’s no secret that soda is a unique antiseptic and stain remover. In addition, soda can soften water and make things incredibly soft.
- Recipe #1. Dissolve 3 tbsp in a glass of warm water. spoons of soda and 3-4 drops of sandalwood or jasmine oil. Use the product rinse aid in the washing machine, pouring it into the rinse aid compartment.
- Recipe #2. Mix half a cup of baking soda with warm water to make a slurry. Add the mass to the conditioner tray before starting the washing program.
The substance will not only soften the fabric, but also kill harmful bacteria, mold and fungus on the products. After rinsing with borax, the products will become soft and clean. It is enough to pour only 50 g of the substance into the rinse aid compartment and turn on washing with rinsing.
Please note that when using borax, it is necessary to follow the dosage exactly, since its excess can cause skin reactions.
Common salt has proven to be a good fabric softener. The structure of the fibers of the material will become softer, and the colors will be more saturated.
- Knead 1 kg of table salt thoroughly so that there are no lumps.
- Add 20 drops of any essential oil to the product and mix thoroughly.
- With each wash, add 3-4 tbsp. spoons of the remedy.
- Store unused salt rinse in a dark place.
Table salt is sometimes replaced with magnesia.
Why home air conditioning is better
Fabric softener, prepared with your own hands, is in no way inferior to purchased analogues, and even surpasses it to some extent.
- You know exactly what is included in the product, you are sure of its quality and safety.
- The cost of self-made substances is much lower than store rinses.
- You can choose the aroma for the air conditioner without restrictions and based on your own preferences, since the assortment of essential oils is quite large.
- Agents with antistatic properties reduce the ability of towels to absorb moisture. But vinegar, which is part of most household rinses, on the contrary, increases this property.
- The preparation made by oneself can be safely used for washing children’s underwear, as well as for allergy sufferers and asthmatics.
Review of the best air conditioners
From the assortment of store laundry conditioners, according to most housewives and young mothers, the best are:
- Vernel. Does not cause skin reactions. There is a separate line of products for children’s items. The manufacturer also thought about people suffering from allergies and released a rinse aid – Vernel Aurum with a gentle composition. The composition includes safe components and cationic PVA, which dissolve completely. This product is not suitable for delicate fabrics. The range includes a wide variety of flavors for every taste.
- Lenore. A low-concentration product with an environmentally friendly composition and hypoallergenic properties. The line includes products with apple, flower and herbal scents. Some housewives claim that after washing things have a pronounced smell of chemicals.
- Big-eared Nyan. Designed for the care of children’s underwear. The composition is completely ecological and safe. Lavender and aloe extract are used as flavoring agents.
- Kitty A product with a subtle and gentle aroma. The composition of the substance includes only safe components and additives. Among the shortcomings, most housewives single out impractical packaging.
- Wedge Home. Designed for the care of children’s clothes. The range includes products with floral, herbal and fruity aromas.
Of course, only you decide whether to use a fabric conditioner or not, buy a product in a store or make it yourself. When choosing a store rinse, always pay attention to its composition and date of manufacture on the package. When using both purchased and home-made conditioner, be sure to follow the rules of use and the appropriate dosage of the drug for one wash. With a proper approach, after washing, things will become soft and pleasant to the touch, have rich colors and a pleasant smell.