Photoepilation has become a very popular method of hair removal. Previously, this method was available only in beauty salons and hospitals. However, with the advent of photoepilators for home use, everyone can enjoy smooth skin without leaving home. However, before choosing and starting to use a photoepilator at home, it is important to familiarize yourself with its principle of action, possible side effects and skin care rules after the procedure. In this article, we will consider how to use a photoepilator at home and how to properly care for the skin after the procedure.
Using a photoepilator at home is becoming more and more popular. This is because it is safer and less painful than traditional hair removal methods such as waxing or shaving. This device is used for different areas of the body including legs, arms, groin and other areas.
The principle of operation of the photoepilator
The principle of action of the photoepilator is to use light energy of high intensity to destroy hairs. The device emits light energy that is absorbed by hair containing the melanin pigment. Light energy is transformed into heat energy, which destroys the cells responsible for hair growth. This leads to the fact that hair stops growing, and in the future falls out.
It is important to remember that the photoepilation procedure can be painful and cause discomfort, but this discomfort is usually temporary. Also consider the risks and limitations of using a photoepilator, such as the possibility of skin damage and the ineffectiveness of the procedure on light skin or gray hair, which we will talk about below.
In addition, the photoepilation procedure is not completely safe and can cause certain side effects, such as inflammation, itching, burns and changes in skin color. Therefore, before using a photoepilator, it is necessary to carefully study its characteristics and manufacturer’s recommendations, and also consult a doctor if necessary.
What is the difference between a photo epilator for home use and a professional one
A photo epilator for home use differs from a professional one in the following main parameters:
- Light intensity. Professional photoepilators have a higher intensity of light than those intended for home use. This allows professionals to achieve better results with fewer procedures.
- Speed. Photoepilators for professional use usually have a higher processing speed, which allows you to carry out procedures faster than those used at home.
- Customization level. Professional photoepilators have more customization options, such as adjusting the light intensity and frequency. This allows specialists to choose the optimal parameters for different skin and hair types, which ensures better results.
- Diode size and shape. Photoepilators for professional use can have larger and shaped diodes, which allows to provide a larger area of treatment and reduce the number of procedures.
- Cost. Photo epilators for home use are usually less expensive than professional ones, making them more accessible to more people.
So, although photo epilators for home use can help achieve tangible results, professional devices remain more effective and reliable tools for professional epilation.
How to choose a photoepilator in a store
When choosing a photo epilator in the store, you should pay attention to the following parameters:
- Light intensity. It is important to make sure that the photoepilator has sufficient light intensity to ensure effective hair removal. As a rule, light intensity is measured in J/cm², so pay attention to this value.
- Number of settings. A photo epilator should have different modes of operation that correspond to different types of skin and hair. Most photoepilators have 3-5 settings.
- Security. The photoepilator must have a protection system against accidental activation, which allows you to avoid skin damage. Some models have integrated cooling systems to reduce pain during the procedure.
- Diode size. Larger diodes mean a larger treatment area and fewer procedures. Choose a photoepilator with diodes with dimensions of at least 3-4 cm².
- Warranty and returns. Before buying a photo epilator, make sure that it has a warranty and a return option if it does not meet your needs.
- Reviews and ratings: Pay attention to user reviews and ratings of photo epilator models in stores or on websites. This will allow you to understand how effective a particular photoepilator is and whether it meets the needs and expectations of users.
Another important criterion is the presence of additional functions, such as the presence of a lamp for the face, the ability to adjust the intensity of light, etc.
You can also pay attention to the design and ease of use of the photoepilator. For example, the presence of an ergonomic handle or built-in sensors that allow the device to accurately fix the skin area for treatment.
In general, the choice of photo epilator in the store depends on the individual needs and preferences of the user. Thorough research and comparison of different models will allow you to find the best option for your needs. And for this, we have published a separate article with tips on buying the best photo epilator.
How to prepare for using a photoepilator at home?
Before using a photoepilator at home, you should thoroughly familiarize yourself with the manufacturer’s instructions and follow all recommendations for a safe and effective procedure.
Here are some steps you can take to prepare your skin for a photoepilator hair removal procedure:
- Make sure your skin is clean and dry before using the photoepilator. Dirty or oily skin can lead to ineffective epilation and skin irritation.
- It is recommended not to epilate the skin immediately after tanning or during a period of increased solar activity. It is also not recommended to use a photoepilator on tattoos or skin wounds.
- To ensure quality epilation, it is important that the length of the hairs meets the requirements of the photoepilator. Some models of photoepilators recommend that the length of the hairs be at least 1 mm or no more than 5 mm. Detailed information can be found in the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Before using the photoepilator, it is recommended to conduct a skin sensitivity test. For this, you should use the lowest intensity of light and observe the reaction of the skin to the procedure.
- After the hair removal procedure, you should protect your skin from direct sunlight and use skin moisturizers to reduce the risk of irritation.
- It is necessary to correctly configure the photoepilator before use. To do this, you need to set the correct intensity of light, which depends on the type of skin and hair color. Some models of photoepilators have a special sensor that helps to correctly determine the light intensity.
- Before starting epilation, it is recommended to thoroughly clean the area of skin that you are going to epilate. Use cleaning products that do not contain alcohol or perfume.
- Depending on the area of epilation, you can use different photoepilator settings. For example, you can set a lower light intensity for the face than for the legs or bikini. It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and set the correct settings.
- After completing the epilation procedure, turn off the photoepilator and disconnect it from the power source. Clean the device from the remains of hair and other impurities.
- Do not forget that the hair removal procedure with a photo epilator can be painful for some people. If you feel pain or discomfort, you can reduce the intensity of the light or postpone the procedure for another time.
In general, before using a photoepilator at home, it is important to read the manufacturer’s instructions in detail and follow all recommendations.
What are the risks of using a photoepilator at home?
Using a photoepilator at home can have some risks. Here are some of them:
- Burn. Improper use of the photoepilator can cause skin burns. This can happen if the light intensity is set too high, or if the hair removal procedure is performed on skin that is sensitive to light.
- Appearance of pigmentation. After the epilation procedure, pigmentation may appear on the skin, especially if it is exposed to frequent exposure to light. This can lead to dark spots on the skin that can be difficult to treat.
- Development of infection. If the epilation procedure is performed on dirty or undisinfected skin, it can lead to the development of an infection.
- Violation of blood circulation. Using a photoepilator can lead to disruption of blood circulation on the skin, which can cause unpleasant sensations and discomfort.
- Violation of the function of melanocytes. Using a photoepilator can disrupt the function of melanocytes, which are responsible for the production of pigment in the skin. This can cause skin discoloration or dark spots.
To prevent the risks associated with using a photoepilator at home, it is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and consult a specialist before use.
How to care for the skin after photoepilation?
After the photoepilation procedure, it is important to properly care for the skin to reduce the risk of side effects. Here are some tips:
- Apply a cooling agent. Redness and inflammation of the skin may occur after the photoepilation procedure. Using a cooling agent such as aloe vera or green tea lotion can help reduce these symptoms.
- Apply a moisturizing cream. After photoepilation, the skin can become dry and flaky. Using a moisturizer that contains aloe vera, vitamin E, or hyaluronic acid will help hydrate and soothe the skin.
- After photoepilation, heat exposure to the skin, such as the sun, saunas, and hot water treatments, should be avoided. This will help prevent skin irritation and burns.
- After the photoepilation procedure, you should avoid using cosmetics that contain active ingredients such as retinol, glycolic acid or vitamin C. These products can be aggressive to the skin and cause irritation.
- Do not remove the hair after the procedure. After photoepilation, it is not recommended to remove hair on the same area that was subjected to the procedure. This can lead to skin irritation and inflammation.
Using a photoepilator at home can be an effective and convenient way to remove hair. However, before starting the procedure, it is important to choose the right device, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations and prepare the skin for the procedure. Do not forget about the possible risks and side effects, as well as the rules of skin care after photoepilation. If you follow all the recommendations, photoepilation can be an effective way to remove hair at home. Enjoy smooth skin and take care of your health!