The smell of rotten meat is one of the most persistent and unpleasant, which is not so easy to remove. The source of such a smell is anaerobic bacteria, they secrete waste products, which give such a strong stench. Therefore, the first thing to do is to deprive them of food, that is, to throw away the spoiled product. The final smell is removed with the help of special means. Let’s consider in detail how to get rid of the smell of rotten meat in the house.
The smell in the refrigerator
After all spoiled products have been thrown away, the refrigerator must be washed. It must be disconnected from the network.
Get all the contents out of the fridge – good products. It is necessary to carefully examine them. If it is frozen semi-finished products, fish or meat, then they should be removed from the plastic wrap and placed in a fresh bag. It is necessary to do this, because the old packaging has certainly leaked an unpleasant smell and will spread this ambre in the future. Unfortunately, some, even good products, will have to be thrown away, for example, butter. It is one of the first to absorb all foul odors and becomes unfit for food.
After such an audit is carried out, you need to deal with the refrigerator itself.
- Pour warm water into the basin, add two tablespoons of vinegar. Vinegar perfectly neutralizes odors.
- Wash the shelves of the refrigerator with a sponge for washing dishes with a detergent, having previously removed the parts that can be removed. Be sure to pay attention to each area, because there are also bacteria.
- If the meat stains are very ingrained, soak them a little and leave for a few minutes. It is not advisable to scratch the refrigerator with an iron washcloth, it will spoil the smooth surface.
When the refrigerator is washed, it is necessary to fix the effect of odor neutralization:
- Prepare a soda solution: take a liter of warm water for 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Wipe the refrigerator with the prepared solution, without missing a single corner. Be sure to wipe all the details of the shelves, recesses.
Importantly! Pay special attention to plastic parts, as they absorb odors the most.
At the end of cleaning, open the refrigerator wide for drying for 2-3 hours.
Means for neutralization of bad smell
In addition to baking soda, you can use:
- Alcohol: drip 15-20 drops per liter of water.
- Lemon juice diluted in vodka 1:10. Vodka should be without impurities and aromatic additives.
- Crumpled fresh newspapers – you need to cover the shelves of the refrigerator with them and wait a few hours after the refrigerator is cleaned. If necessary, newspapers are changed to fresh ones.
- Ground coffee – it is poured into a saucer and placed in the refrigerator to neutralize residual odors after the refrigerator is washed.
- Activated carbon – it is treated in the same way as with coffee, only before that the tablets need to be turned into a powder.
- Peeled citrus slices (lemon, orange), left in the refrigerator. Alternatively, lemon peel is placed on a hot pan and “fried” without oil for a few minutes.
- Dry lime – it is sprinkled on the floor. It absorbs odors well. Linoleum can be sprinkled, but painted floors will most likely corrode and turn white.
- Shop tool “Odorgon”. They are used to finish surfaces, refrigerators, cabinets.
What to do if the refrigerator has been standing rotten for several weeks
Sometimes very difficult situations happen. For example, you went on vacation, the refrigerator broke down and sat rotten for several weeks. The smell is terrible, especially in the summer. Here you can no longer do with ordinary means, here you need to act according to a special scheme.
So, the first thing to do is to wash the refrigerator with detergents. After that, it is dried for three hours, with open windows and balconies.
Next, the refrigerator is treated with the shop product “Odorgon”, 3 times, every three hours. At the same time, the refrigerator door is covered, leaving only a small gap. This should be done so that the product does not weather too quickly and has time to act.
The smell in the kitchen
If the unpleasant smell of rot fills the entire kitchen, it must be washed well.
Initial cleaning is performed with any detergent, treating all shelves, countertop surfaces, drawers. The walls are wiped with a wet microfiber cloth: it squeezes well and does not scratch the surface. It is good to add chlorine – it destroys even the strongest stench.
For washing floors, you can add potassium permanganate, however, it should be taken into account that manganese colors light material.
In order to freshen the air in the room, turn on the gas burner for 2 minutes, then turn it off. Fresh orange, tangerine or lemon peels are placed on the hot burner. After just a few minutes, the smell will clear, and the kitchen will have a fresh citrus aroma.
Carpets and textiles
If there are carpets in the kitchen, they must be aired on the balcony, having previously been cleaned with any deodorized shampoo for cleaning carpets (such as Vanish) with a stiff brush.
Curtains, textiles must be washed in a washing machine with laundry detergent and conditioner. Textiles are dried in a ventilated room, preferably outside or on a balcony.
If the cabinets stink, they will have to be exposed on the balcony for processing. Wood and pressed sawdust quickly and powerfully absorb odors, therefore, leaving them in their former place, the smell will not be removed. Those places where they stood are also treated with chlorine several times and thoroughly dried.
After processing the cabinets and the refrigerator, whole boxes of soda are placed on their shelves. This should be done because the baking soda absorbs the residual smell. It is good to put 2 chlorine tablets next to the soda. on each shelf. After that, the cabinets and refrigerator are tightly closed to neutralize odors. Leave for a week.
At this time, the kitchen (and, if necessary, other rooms) are treated by Domestos, every day. This will also help to air out the remains of unpleasant ambergris.
If the sofa stinks in the kitchen, most likely you will have to remove the upper fabric cover. For example, sofa cushions have removable pillowcases, they are machine washable. If the material cannot be removed, it is advisable to send the sofa to the balcony and treat it with detergent there. It is not bad to sprinkle it with baking soda, having previously covered it with an old dry sheet. After standing like this for 3-4 weeks in the open air, under the influence of soda, the sofa will weather out. In the most severe cases, the upholstery will have to be changed.
After a week of washing the floors, decorating the rooms, the refrigerator and cabinets are once again treated with Odorgon, dried and moved to a clean kitchen. Finally, additional means are used: scented sticks, air freshener in plates, sprays, lemon peels. You can keep ground coffee, brown sticks open in the kitchen.
It is difficult to get rid of the smell of rotten meat, but it is possible, the main thing is to carefully follow the given tips.